Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxd_gw

A Strange Week and Bamboo

foxd
18 years ago

I've had a strange week with things that weren't supposed to happen, happening.

But to make a long story short, I traded for what is reported to be some Buddha Belly dug from a grove in Northern Indiana. Obviously, some part of the information there is wrong. But the bamboo is obviously a clumper judging from the roots, it has slightly swollen internodes and the culm slightly zig-zags, no sulcus and multiple branches from each node. After much looking at pictures, I'm convinced it is Buddha Belly Bamboo, which leaves me with two possibilities: There is a grove of Buddha Belly growing in Northern Indiana, or the people I got it from don't know where they live. I suppose it could be an extreme case of microclimate or it just happens to be a cold hardy variant of Buddha Belly.

For the moment, I have decided to put it in a pot and wait for it to produce new shoots. Maybe next year I'll get brave and try planting some of it outdoors.

Comments (21)

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

How tall and what diameter are the culms on the original clump?

Another possibilty might be P. japonica 'Tsutsumiana'
    GREEN ONION BAMBOO. It is a running bamboo, but may grow more like a clumper in colder climates.

Kt

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I haven't gotten to see the original clump and the culms the person had were cut down to about 3 feet tall for transpost. The culms I saw in the pots he was selling were about an inch in diameter. Also there appears to be one large branch and a bunch of smaller ones at each node, which is a characteristic of Bambusa. Besides the leaves are too small to be Green Onion Bamboo.

I will see if I can find out more, but it will be a while.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

foxd-
    I checked on the hardiness rating for Buddha Belly, and it's 21 degrees F. I'm in Zone 8 and this bamboo usually dies here when we have a cold snap. I don't think your description is a good match for this bamboo, either. Whatever it is, I can't imagine it's Buddha Belly in your Zone. Could you post a picture of what you have?

• tropicallvr
    18 years ago

That's really interesting. Looking forward to hearing, or seeing some more info on it.

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

kudzu9: Yes, I'm willing to believe that either the identification of the bamboo is wrong or that there is some major confusion over where the grove is located. At the moment it is looking a bit shocked due to being transplanted and it had already been pruned quite a bit.

BTW, another thing I noticed was that the culms had very thick walls and are green with black spots.

To recap the description:
    No sulcus.
    Some swelling between some nodes and a bit of a zig-zag to the culm.
    One large branch and a number of small branches at the nodes.
    Culms are green with some black spots.
    Culm walls are thick.
    Leaves are about the same size as on my Yellow Groove.
    Judging from the roots, it is a clumper.

I hope to have a bunch of pictures posted soon, please forgive the curled leaves.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

foxd-
    Pictures of the nodes would be the most interesting indicator. By the way, did you check out the photos on www.bambooweb.info to compare?

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've uploaded pictures of the bamboo to this directory:

http://129.79.74.96/foxd/bamboo/

I also uploaded a picture of some of my MOSO seedlings here.

• Scott Wallace
    18 years ago

Hmmm, a clumper outdoors in Northern Indiana. I agree based on the hardiness data that this is not B. Ventricosa or B. Vulgaris "Wamin".

Most likely what you have is P. Aurea, a runner, which can display similar characteristics of B. Ventricosa as far as swollen nodes. P aurea also forms somewhat of a clump in colder climates, not the wide open groves such as seen in warmer climates. You also mention zig-zag culms, which is yet another distinct characteristic of P aurea.

Also, if it has striping it could be the "Koi" variety as seen here http://bambooworld.com/picturepages/phyllostachys%20aurea%20koi.htm.

http://www.jmbamboo.com/paurea.htm
    http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostachys%20aurea.htmhttp://www.lewisbamboo.com/aurea3.html

I have some P Aurea growing here in Central Florida and it does look very similar to my Ventricosa, but can't find the pic right now. Here's a few pics of the Ventricosa though.

When I put it in the ground last year:
    {{gwi:412727}}

New shoot growing right now:
    {{gwi:412728}}

• cliff98
    18 years ago

The culms with their swollen internodes look very much like Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana' to me, just with a litte cold damage (the blackish markings).

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

webgator: This bamboo lacks a sulcus which would tend to rule out it being a Phyllostachys.

Cliff98: Doesn't quite look right to me. I'm not going to mind if it is, and admitedly it is kind of hard to judge with all the pruning that had been done on it, but for one thing, the leaf size doesn't look right.
    {{gwi:412730}}
    {{gwi:412731}}

I guess my best course of action is to wait until it puts up a shoot in order to do a good comparison and see if I can find out more about the grove it came from.

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

Dan, I'm willing to believe that it is the Ventricosa, but I'd sure like to hear the whole story. Come out and I can show you a couple of them I grow in pots.

I agree with you that it has too many branches to be the Onion, and I do not think that it is Aurea, and your description sounds right on for the Ventricosa - zig zags, multiple branching w/1 large one, small leaves. The photos do not sway me from thinking that it is the Ventricosa. It would surely be a surprise though, to find that it winters over at all. I need to divide mine so maybe I'll plant one out for an experiement.

• Scott Wallace
    18 years ago

I agree that one could grow Ventricosa in pots and overwinter it indoors, but for it to survive the freezing temps of winter would truly be amazing.

Even the Vulgaris I have here in NE Florida almost completly died back with near complete culm loss when temps dropped to 27 degrees here. The pics of the boo above show what appears to be nice sized live culms.

If it is truly Ventricosa then I bet even the ABS would love to check that out.

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

webgator: Yeah, I'm inclined to think there is something wrong with the answers I was getting to my questions. It wouldn't be the first time that someone told me what they thought I wanted to hear rather than the answer to my question.

BTW, the bottom picture was Ventricosa from the Bambooweb site for comparison against the sample I had, which was the upper picture. Looking back at my earlier posting it didn't look like I'd made that clear.

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

Dan, are you sure about the bottom picture - it sure looks like the Onion, not Ventricosa?

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hoosier52: You're right! It is Green Onion. I was a bit sleepy when I posted, but wanted people to realize that that picture was posted for comparison purposes.

BTW, when would be a good time for me to drop by or call?

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

Dan, I don't get home from work until the 14th, so it could be anytime between then and the beginning of July.

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

Dan, I'm...back home again in Indiana...one of the Buddah Bellies has several new shoots in case you'd like to see them to compare with your new boo - assuming that it shoots in the near future.

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brad, I'm sorting out my schedule for the weekend, the past few weeks have been...eventful. I can make it out to your nursery either early sunday morning or monday evening. Which would be convenient for you?

The Buddha Belly seems to have perked up and is sprouting new leaves. I think it is going to live.

I was not able to find the people selling it again, so I was unable to quiz them further about its supposed cold hardiness. One thing I noticed in getting the start of it, was that it was buried very deeply in the pot. I'm not that familiar with how deeply the root system on tropical clumpers is buried, but it looked much deeper than I remember for the Fargesia nitida and Chusquea culeo I have. While I am skeptical of the venders claim that it will survive our Indiana winters, a part of me is wondering, if the roots were planted that deeply, and it was mulched heavily, would it survive the winter here?

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

Can't find 'em eh?...sounds like some sort of a vagabond bamboo ring that scours the nation looking for innocent victims to trade bamboo to; and then to make up some cock n bull story about the buddah in Northern Indiana; thank God there's no ELVIS BELLY bamboo (sequined culm leaves) , the dang stuff would pop up every couple of years, I think it would like the climate of the southern states...don't worry, we'll find 'em sure enough...just follow the trail of culm leaves...I'd check the rest areas on the interstate... we'll catch 'em and teach these swine a LESSON...

I have been very curious to plant a tropical clumper here, and protect the heck out of it in the winter, but the thing that has stopped me is the timing of the shooting season. They usually shoot so late in the year that the new culms would always be killed and this would surely drain the plants energy reserves and mean a quick death, unless the bamboo survived the first winter and 'learned' to shoot earlier. Having said that, my BBelly is shooting now which is much earlier than usual. Maybe I will kill a piece of it this winter.

Dan, late morning Sunday or Monday evening will both be fine, watch the Rubro when you're coming down the driveway, it's been in a MOOD lately...

• foxd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The vender was also selling Lucky Bamboo, but to their credit, after the usual Feng Shui stuff, they went on to explain that it wasn't really a bamboo, but a Dracena. Also, the person I talked to seemed honestly confused when I said it wouldn't survive our winters and said, "But we live in Carmel and have had it outside for years." I then started asking them some more questions. Perhaps they will show up again at the Farmer's Market.

• foxd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And so a long dead thread rises from the grave this Halloween season!

To update:
    The Buddha Belly was planted outside last year. It was top killed by the winter, but survived to regrow. It isn't as tall as last year, but appears bushier. So I can't decide if it lost or gained ground.

BTW, I didn't bother with winter protection last year and it is not in an area I'd consider a micro-climate. I am looking forward to seeing what it does next year.

Sponsored