Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbkelso1

Oldhammi culm cutting

rbkelso1
17 years ago

2 weeks ago I was dividing a clump of oldhammi and accidentally cut a culm off with no roots.I didn't want to waste it so I cut it up in 2 node pieces,Drilled a small hole below the top node and with a syringe i filled them with water.I put them in 10 inch pots on a angle and pushed them in about 3/4 the way in using just sandy clayish dirt.I keep them moist and mist daily.I also did the same with the bigger branches.So far 2 culms are leafing out ans a few of the branches still have leafs, a couple have lost the leaves.One small branch I just stuck in the ground in a moist area and it is leafing out also.The bottom 1/3 with very minimal roots I put in a pot and tied it to a tree.It is still green but no growth yet.

Comments (7)

• mailbox0600
    17 years ago

Is this a standard way to root bamboo?
    - Cut into 2 node sections
    - Drill small hole in bottom section
    - Fill bottom section with water
    - Push 3/4 way into soil

I always thought you cut into one node sections (where there were branches) and then push that into soil until the node was just under ground... then water daily.

Thanks for any additional comments.

• rbkelso1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have read about both ways but it sounds like you have better results with 2 nodes.One to make roots and one to make branches.

• mailbox0600
    17 years ago

- you buried the bottom node and left the top node above ground?
    - did you strip the bottom node of branches & leaves?
    - did you strip the top node of branches & leaves?
    - and here is what you did... right?

:
    : stalk (culm)
    - node
    : dirt
    - node
    :

correct as necessary.

thanks

• Scott Wallace
    17 years ago

Single node cuttings will do fine. I usually leave about 1 to 2" of culm below the node then about 6" of culm above the node, then put in the ground, covering the node and branching. Then I keep the open portion of the culm full of water. Some say this does not matter but either way it works for me. Also, if the node was heavily branched I trim most of the branching off. Rooting usually takes place within several weeks to several months.

BTW, there are several methods of propagating tropical clumpers and not all methods work for each. Experimentation and patience is a must when trying any of these.

• pharaoness
    15 years ago

just needed some help, about a year and a half ago, I took four bamboo leaf cluster cuttings from my friend's bamboo stalks (not sure what kind of bamboo, but it was just the "lucky" bamboo stalk sold at the store, in toronto canada). These did not have any stem whatsoever, but I just used the regular plant rooting technique, and they've grown roots and still live today in cups in more water than soil mixtures, and they just look like long bamboo leaf clusters, and only having a stem created from the cutting off of dead leaves at its bottom. I was wondering, how do I pot them to promote growth? What do I use to plant them (soil, water, rocks, etc)? Should I expect these to grow stems, and if so, when? Thank you!

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

pharaoness-
    Try the Lucky Bamboo Forum...

• popper1
    15 years ago

Lucky bamboo is not bamboo, it is a species of Dracaena, so grows entirely different from bamboo.