Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa & Henon grove ?

Posted by iain42 7 AR (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 11:37

I am digging up lots of concrete in my backyard this week to make room for a bamboo grove. It should be 8ft wide by 60ft long. Is this big enough for a decent grove. I am wanting the ultimate privacy screen for an urban setting. Can Musa and Henon coexist? I plan on installing a rhizome barrier before planting. Also what kind of a mulch or ground cover would look good with this bamboo?

Any advice much appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moso & Henon grove ?

Sorry I meant Moso timber banboo.....

o
RE: Musa & Henon grove ?

Neither species would be a good choice if you are wanting privacy. Large timber species don't put out lower branches once they size up. You will see right through the culms at whatever you weren't wanting to see.
Chris

o

Thank you for letting me know. I will still grow the bamboo just not as a privacy screen. Now the search for a fast growing privacy screen continues : )

o

There are many, many choices out there. Golden is popular, yellow groove,bisetti,even black, though it is a bit slower, but worth it.

o

I have my Henon in a 9' X 27' area and it makes an excellent barrier/privacy screen. It is a small enough area where it never reaches full size, only about 20 feet tall and culms about 2 inches thick. It is a great windbreak also.

My Moso is not planted inside of a barrier and after about 9 years, it is still a good barrier also, although I keep it trimmed back to a small area, which keeps it small and thick making it a good privacy screen also.

Kt

o

Low branching will occur if planting area is in enough light. My henon isn't even as large as your diameter, but is taller and I have no branching below 6-7'. All about light availability. Most of my plantings, once they get dense enough usually are competing for light up high.
Chris

o

I agree, Chris. Light plays a large part in thickness of a grove. My Henon and Moso both start to branch about 2 to 3 feet from the ground here. How tall is yours??

I also agree with your other picks as 'better' choices. One thing though, P. nigra(black), is a very rampant spreader here. From a one gallon pot, in it's first year, it put up it's first shoot 15 feet away from the original plant. It runs like wildfire, but never reaches very large size.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here