Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isshin

Hardy Bamboo

isshin
16 years ago

I live in Northeast Ohio and I would like to put bamboo on the border of my Japanese Garden. Could anyone tell me what varieties of bamboo grow in my region. I have seen maps that say I am zone 5 and others say zone 6. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I'm 5a zone. Muncie, IN and yellow groove bamboo has been totally hardy here. I mulched it with leaves the first year, but since then I've been too busy.

• brian_k
    16 years ago

Here in Columbus, I am currently growing 10 species of bamboo for about 2 years now. There is probably over 30 different species you could care for successfully.
    Arundinaria gigantea
    Phyllostachys aureosulcata and cultivars
    Phyllostachys bissetii
    Phyllostachys nuda
    Phyllostachys rubromarginata
    Fargesia sp.
    Many Pleioblastus sp.
    Those should do well with proper care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambooweb

• mzkrista
    16 years ago

Hi I live in the Cleveland OH area. I have Phyllostachys aureosulcata (Yellow groove) and its also in my Japanese garden. Another cool plant for Japanese gardens although it is not bamboo is Horsetail rush, do you have that in your garden? I know someone near me that has Phyllostachys Aureosulcata it is a mature old grove and the culms are 3 inches thick! Very cool. Mine are small because they are only 3 years old I'm looking forward to when they become like my neighbors.

Sponsored