Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Planting Depth Question

Posted by Bamboo_Ken FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 12:07

Hi,

I just dug up some giant green running bamboo from my mother's yard. Not sure of the variety, but it was about 40' tall and thicker than a coke can. I am transplanting it to my yard.

Once I had the root ball out, it measured about 24 inches from the bottom of the culm to the bottom of the roots.

Problem: When I dug the hole in my yard, I could only get down about 16 inches before hitting bedrock (a porous limestone).

Question: Do I chisel down into the bedrock to make room for the roots, or do I trim the roots to fit the hole. Or do I leave it as is and mound the dirt up around the exposed crown of the roots? I was worried that cutting the roots would set it back a season.

thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Planting Depth Question

First, you want to make sure the roots are moist/wet right now. That's a very big transplant and the possibility of shock and/or plant death is significant. You also do not want to remove any more root structure as that will make survival chances worse. Trying to chip down into rock -- besides being a lot of work -- means that the bamboo will have a lessened opportunity to get nutrients and get rooted. If you must plant it in that location, definitely plant it in a large mound...and for a bamboo that size, I would aim for a mound at least 10 feet in diameter. After you get it planted, make sure to stabilize it with three stakes and some twine/rope for several months. Otherwise the wind will continue to blow it over. The advantage of planting in a mound is that it will be easier to rhizome prune and keep the bamboo contained to where you want it in the future. I've found that mounded bamboo rhizomes tend to be closer to the surface, and break the ground closer to the main plant.

Good luck, and don't be surprised if you have a lot of leaf drooping and/or loss. It's always difficult to transplant a bamboo which is that large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here