Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My black bamboo is very sick. Please help!

Posted by ccoombs1 7B SC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 12:22

I planted a 3 gallon black bamboo summer 2005. It is planted in a huge plastic culvert that is appx 32" across and 40" deep, open bottom. The whole culvert is buried in the ground. The bamboo did great last summer. It got tall and sent out several new shoots. This year we had a very hard late freeze, well after all my plants began leafing out. the bamboo got zapped pretty hard and I eventully had to prune out the top half of many of the culms because they were brown and dead. The boo appeared to recover and sent out two new shoots. One is doing great, the other new shoot got about 24" tall and turned brown. What is this plant's problem? It gets some sun....partial shade also. I do water it...enough that the wild ginger (8 small plants)planted around it's base is happy, but the ground is not soggy. I have not fertalized it. Any suggestions or ideas? I really don't want to lose this plant! thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My black bamboo is very sick. Please help!

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 16:35

Does sound like it's not getting enough water. Hard to say more without viewing patient.

o
RE: My black bamboo is very sick. Please help!

Can bamboo be over-watered? If not, I'll start watering it heavly every couple of days to see if it perks up. I just dont want to drown it.

o
RE: Bambusa Lako

Can this species be container grown outdoors in zone 9?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here