Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
therubberhead

Bamboos as deer barrier

therubberhead
15 years ago

I'm wondering about the possibility of using a spreading bamboo as a "fence" of sorts to keep deer out.

I have a flat area above a retaining wall in the backyard. Kind of crescent shaped, but about 20 -35 feet long and anywhere from 6 to 18 or 20 feet deep at center. Beyond this is a real steep moderately-treed hill, vertical almost, going up about 40 feet to a road.

The problem is that deer come down the hill and have destroyed by blueberry bushes etc. in the landing garden.

I'm looking to plant more berry bushes and possibly some small fruit trees and want to keep the "cute" animals at bay.

I would prefer to avoid using fencing , as it's a big job (very sandy soil and a steep pitch etc, and it's ugly.)

What I'm thinking about is clearing the hill , up to about 8 or ten feet above its base where it meets the landing area, and then planting some spreading bamboo across the length of itinstead.

I would place a rhizome barrier on the downward side so the bamboo does not spread into the landing area, but don't care if it spreads up the hill - may actually be a good thing if it makes it all the more difficult for the deer to venture down.

I know it wouldn't be perfect, as it will not be completely enclose, and the deer may take to coming through from the sides maybe , or even the back yard itself, but so far they don't seem willing to risk that.

Is this practical to discourage them coming down the hill? Would bamboo be able to stop them? They wouldn't dare jump down over anything i think given the sheerness of the hill, so I don't need anything tall. Would they be able to just push through bamboos/ knock them down etc? Or would they just as soon not bother you think?

If it has a shot, what type of bamboo sounds good?

Looking for a spreading varity obviously, not too tall, maybe 6 or 8 feet tops, somewhat attractive I guess wouldn't hurt, sandy soil in zone 6a NY?

Any input appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!