Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Bamboo

Posted by sambo725 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 12:37

I have a couple of questions about pruning my clumping bamboo. It is three year old textilis gracilis plant with about 30 stalks. If i cut out healthy smaller diameter plants from two years ago, will that slow the plant down or help it? Also, this year it is putting out about 10 new shots right now. Some are small and some are big, can i break off the small shots?? My goal is to get the plant as big as possible as quick as possible. If I take out the older stalks will that stop the plant from shooting up these smaller shots?
Thank you
Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Bamboo

You can prune out older or younger culms that you don't want: it won't hurt anything. However, whether you remove some growth or leave it alone will probably not make much difference in the plant sizing up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here