Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stone_jaguar

eBay Bambusa lako seed redux

stone_jaguar
15 years ago

Greetings:

Since the debate as to the IDs of different bamboo spp. whose seeds have been offered by online vendors has apparently been going on for at least several years, and the logic provided by sceptics is often impeccable, I was wondering whether any of the people who purchased, germinated and presumably have grown out putative Bambusa lako seed in 05 and 06 are now satisfied/convinced that their plants are the Real McCoy?

Since there are now additional ornamental bamboo spp. appearing with regularity on eBay and so forth, it seems that it would be valuable to hear the opinions of those who bit a few years back. I would assume, at the very least, that common material such as B. ventricosa and B. vulgaris would be properly IDd, but as always I s'pose, caveat emptor.

Cheerio,

Jay

Comments (5)

• popper1
    15 years ago

I have been waiting patiently for posts to your question Jay. I actually think I posted a similar question a year ago or so, but never got an answer (I wonder if that tells us something) I have wondered about this ever since I saw all the various bamboo seeds begin to be posted on ebay. I took the easy, but expensive, way out and spent several hundred dollars to buy the rare bamboos I wanted and now have 20-40' specimens. I hope someone tells us if they managed to do the same but lots cheaper!

• stone_jaguar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P1:

I am frankly a tad surprised that there has been no feedback thus far and also concluded that either:
    - there is some reluctance to respond by U.S. residents due to potential legal conflicts posed by "'fessing up" to having imported seeds in the past, or;
    - that most/all of the buyers ended up with different spp. of running Asian McBamboo that is now either long since dumpster fodder or contemplated with some distaste.

Any experience to the contrary, particularly with regard to spp. supplied by German seed dealers would be of interest. For the record, I live in Central America so USDA restrictions/prohibition on seed imports into the U.S. are moot.

Cheerio,

J

• popper1
    15 years ago

Jay-

Do you grow many types of bamboo? Getting seeds into the USA has relaxed considerably so I don't think that is much of an issue. The USDA came out with an import permit for small lots of seeds that is very easy to get and use.

Drop me an email, I'd be curious to hear of your bamboo & other plant types-

david
    pmbirds1@yahoo.com

• fluffy_bamboo
    15 years ago

I bought some off e-bay and maybe it was 06. Not sure. Plants that made it aren't real big yet so I can't tell if they are the real thing. I have one in the ground in the backyard that seems to be doing real well but I don't have much info to give you. I enjoyed growing them from seeds, whatever they are. I am hoping they are Bambusa Lako.

• poaky1
    11 years ago

I am a bamboo newbie and bought seeds from ebay, and someone on here said that seed propagation was not ideal. I hope you have had success with your seeds, but I was told divisions are a better way to get plants that are going to be more noticeable in the landscape. My seeds never sprouted though, yours have, well good luck.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living