Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spectabilis - new shoot is green?

Posted by richieboo none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 12:59

Hi group. I just bought a new Spectabilis to add to a bed where my existing plant is flowering. I bought a more mature plant which has one culm, guessing it is the young/new one, and it is green. I don't know if I got a different type of bamboo than I expected. I read that Robert Young bamboo has culms that are first green and then change to yellow while retaining the green stripes. Nowhere do I read the same for Spectabilis. Other than waiting a few years to see what develops, can anyone help me properly ID this bamboo? Thanks in advance.

It can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richienj/7361838538/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spectabilis - new shoot is green?

My spectabilis never shoots green like that. They come out yellow/maroon/purple.

o

I'll have to see what happens next Spring. That shoot died, guessing shock and that the angle it was growing from the side of the pot I took it from. Thanks for the reply post.

o

richieboo-
My spectabilis also never shoots green. That almost looks like it could be from another bamboo...however, it also looks like it's too close to the other culms for that to be true.

The angle of that shoot did not factor into its demise. I have many bamboo and they sometimes shoot at similarly weird angles.

I'll be interested to hear what happens next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here