Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smasraum

Pruning Black Bamboo

smasraum
12 years ago

A few years back, my mother bought some black bamboo for me as a gift from a large mail order place. It started out as a few culms that weren't much larger than pencil lead. It's done pretty well and is quite vigorous. Occasionally, I'll have a shoot come up almost horizontal and then curve upwards. I also get very tiny shoots from time to time.

I'd like to prune back some of the non-vertical shoots and maybe some (not all) of the smaller shoots so I can see more of the larger culms. I don't want to prune too much or prune in a way that will stunt any other growth. Are there any rules of thumb on what you can/can't should/shouldn't prune? Would pruning black bamboo be any different than any other bamboo?

Thank you

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Rule 1: Black bamboo is like any other bamboo.

Rule 2: Prune out whatever you don't want, whenever you want.

Rule 3: Whatever you prune out will not regenerate.

Rule 4: Whatever you prune out will not hurt future growth.

• alan_l
    12 years ago

Kudzu: I disagree with Rule 4. Take the extreme case of cutting down *every* existing culm. Will that hurt future growth? Yes, it will set the plant back a bit, maybe a few years or more. New culms will be smaller. So there must be some limit to the number of culms you can remove without affecting next year's culms... I believe I've heard 30%. That is, you can remove about a third of the existing culms from an established grove and not set it back.

Does that sound right?

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

alan-
    Yes, I agree that clearcutting a bamboo would not be good. The "rules" I was providing were specifically for the OP in the context of the particular issue posed, given that he/she seemed overly hesitant. In a healthy, established bamboo I routinely take out all small stuff, all whip shoots, and all larger culms that look like they are starting to near the end of their useful lives (losing color and having significantly diminished foliage). In a healthy plant this will not affect future growth and may help it...and it won't be that big a proportion of the clump.

• smasraum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.

So the weird culms that don't come up vertically are whip shoots? Cool, now I know.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

smasraum-
    Yes, that's correct. I get them every once in a while, even on older clumps. An alternative to either leaving them alone or pruning them out is to bend them up to a vertical position when they are about a foot long and hold them in place with twine attached to another culm. Once it gets to its full height and hardens off, it should stay vertical after the twine is removed.

• smasraum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good to know, I'll remember that. Actually, I was out pruning earlier, and I think I remember seeing a new whip shoot that I may have to introduce to a little bondage. I'll just tell it "it builds character". :o)

Sponsored