Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iain42

Austin Bamboo Festival ??

iain42
15 years ago

The 16th Annual Texas Bamboo Festival will be held on Saturday and Sunday, August 23-24, 2008 at Zilker Botanical Garden, Austin, Texas.

Hours: Saturday 10 am - 6 pm, Sunday 10 am - 5 pm - Admission is free. Parking fee $3.

Ok this is really cool. I have friends in Austin and can make the trip cheaply and easily.

I noticed there were some bamboo resources in Austin. We do not have much here in Little Rock. While I am there I would like to buy bamboo. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer that I can buy Henon from???? I would like to buy many large divisions.

Have members of this forum participated in this event? Was it a positive experience?

Comments (4)

• pt91
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am in Little Rock as well. I have some Henon but it is still in a pot waiting for our new yard/house. I have been to austin twice this year or I would consider going as well. Let us know how it works out.

• mikemcg
    15 years ago

iain42,

I have gone to this event for the past 6 years and have usually ended up buying one or two bamboo each year. The Texas Bamboo Society usually has a bamboo sale and auction and there are usually three of more 'commercial' bamboo suppliers as well. There are also usually bamboo arts and craft, and related items for sale. Lastly there are several bamboo related presentation. If you are interested in growing or using bamboo it is well worth attending.

The following is an except from some tentative information sent out earlier by Carole Meckes who is coordinating this 16th Annual Texas Bamboo Festival and is a past President of the Texas Bamboo Society

August 23-24 - 16th Annual Texas Bamboo Festival - Zilker Botanical Garden
    Help is needed to plan this event - this is what is going on so far:

Robin McBride Scott
    Our guest speaker, Robin McBride Scott, is an award winning artist who works in Traditional Woodland materials and native American Bamboo. She is the first place recipient of the American Bamboo Society Arts and Craft Award for 2007 for her work with basketry and canebrake (Arundinaria gigantea) bamboo. Robin is a consultant, presenter, and teacher of performing and visual Native arts. She is one of 6 artists in 2008 to receive a Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian Visiting Artist Fellowship. She is also a recipient of the Wordcraft Circle of Native Writers and Storytellers 'Artist of the Year' for 2005-2006.

On Saturday, August 23 - Robin will do a presentation about her work with basketry and native American bamboo.

On Sunday, Robin will conduct a workshop on Weaving a Cane Mat, using native American Bamboo that she has personally harvested, prepared and dyed. The workshop will be limited to 10 - 15 participants. Registration Info is posted at http://www.bamboocentral.net/weavingworkshop.html

Additional Presentations: (times are not decided yet)
    'Landscaping with Running Bamboo' - using running bamboo - in the landscape and elsewhere - and not to be afraid of it - Presentation by Steve Muzos

A Video Presentation about the works of Japanese Artist Tanaka Kyokusho - produced by David Stewart-
    Tanaka Kyokusho, is a bamboo artist and a bamboo basket maker. The video is about his work and shows how he makes the fine slivers of bamboo that he uses in his baskets.

If you would like to do a presentation - or there is a topic you would like discussed at the festival - please email me. There is ample time to further develop and round out the program.

The festival will include a live plant auction on Saturday afternoon, a dinner by reservation on Saturday evening and two full days of bamboo activities with bamboo plants and crafts for sale and show.

Vendors: To date - the following bamboo vendors have sent in their vendor registrations and are listed at http://www.bamboocentral.net/16thfestival.html
    * Spirit Mama - Spun Bamboo Clothing (for adults and children)
    * Waterstones - vases created from stone with bamboo accents email
    * RM-Collectibles.com - Hand-Made Bamboo Crafts from Mt. Fuji, Japan
    * Bamboo Branch - Bamboo Beads & Jewelry, Poles, & Pieces

Mike near Brenham TX

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo festival

• PRO
    iain42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information I will attend. Austin is great fun.

I just located a very affordable supply of bamboo in Arkansas. It looks like I will get started installing the rhizome barrier this month and then start planting next month.

• tey157
    15 years ago

How was it?

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor