Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When cutting Oldhamii for propagation questions

Posted by robanalog 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 14:34

1) How many culms should you get from a 20-30 foot plant? I'm guessing 15 or so before the culms are too thin... Is that correct?

2) When pruning off branches, should I just cut close to the node or totally take everything off of it?

3) If I cut a 10' long section, would I be able to transfer the whole section and separate the culms and bury them for propagation later? or once it's cut does it immediately have to go into soil for it to survive?

4) For the lower nodes that are already bare, If they are buried, will they develop viable branches or are they done once they are bare?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm going to get some cuttings this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how much soil and containers I'll need. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When cutting Oldhamii for propagation questions

Just get some divisions instead.

If you're gonna' do it...

puravida

Here is a link that might be useful: garden photo blog

o

Thanks PV. I'll actually be putting the divisions in pots once I dig them out but the Oldhamii's are between 20-30 feet tall and I don't want to just keep the first 3' of it and destroy the rest. I'm going to try to propagate the culms that I cut above the 3' that I'll be keeping with the root balls/ divisions.
I'm still trying to figure out how many I want to plant and maybe drying some out and keeping poles for projects.

o

You should be able to get one propagation per node. Cut about 2 inches below and about 6 inches above each node. Trim the branching if any to just a few. Bury the culm so that the node and branching are covered. Keep the dirt moist. I was also told to keep the culm full of water by a very reputable grower in the Tampa area, though some say this is not necessary.

Anyways, you should see new leaves develop in a few weeks with new shoots appearing in a few months. Rooting may have taken place by then, but it could take a few more months after that.

Also, I recommend a nice sterile mix of 50/50 peat and perlite. Oldhammi propagates easily, but as with anything else your results may vary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here