Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fpgoodwin

Containment Trench or Moat

fpgoodwin
16 years ago

I have read a bunch about containment of bamboo and it seems that everyone is against barriers, they are expensive and installations are very labor intensive. A 36" trench in the ground and material that cost $2-$3 a foot is pretty hefty for large areas.

I am curious about this trench or moat I have read about, I want to grow 5 different groves that will be pretty big and letting the rizones run and shoot is my main objective at first. I do not have land constrictons as I own 30 acres and want to grow Moso, Henon, Giant Timber & P. nigra (Black) each on there own, approximately 1/2 acre each. B. Mutiplex along a certian fence row.

I was thinking about installing the barriers but I am now opting for the trenches.

Will a small ditch of 12" suffice as a trench around the areas to contain the runners or does it have to be deeper? What is this about filling the trench with sand / mulch?

I assume this trench still just a means of seeing the runners to purne them?. Any input as to how to construct these trenchs would be helpfull.

I am looking forward to seeing these bamboos grow and prosper. Happy gardening. B&B

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH