Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is iy ok to transplant 35 foot bamboo into a pot?

Posted by akle 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 15:43

I am in Los Angeles. I know someone with 35 foot, runner bamboo on her proprty. she said i can dig it up. i want to put it in a 24"x24" pot and put it along my driveway. some questions:

will it survive?

how many shoots can fit in the container?

how often will i need to water it?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is iy ok to transplant 35 foot bamboo into a pot?

First, you will want to dig up older culms instead of this years culms, for transplanting.

If you dig a 35 footer, I would cut it way back. You want to dig as much rhizome and roots with the culm that you can to ensure a successful transplanting.

Dig when to ground is moist and keep the rootball moist during transporting or transplanting, and water well after putting it in a pot.

If you can find several close growing culms, dig them up all together.

Never let the potted bamboo dry out, but don't drown it either.

It will probably survive, and I've had some survive that type of transplanting, but the new culms will be smaller, and you will need to re-pot the bamboo in 2 to 4 years since it will quickly become rootbound in that small of a pot.

Good Luck

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here