Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knock_on_wood

Bamboo division

knock_on_wood
13 years ago

I have a P. atrovaginata "incense bamboo" plant. it is sending a rhizome out of the ground and it went back under. when could I divide this and grow it elsewhere?

Comments (7)

• Scott Wallace
    13 years ago

I'd wait until well after that piece of rhizome sends up some shoots, then take the division to ensure it has enough root mass to survive.

• knock_on_wood
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok thank you. The rhizome is about the the same diameter of a penny and from incense bamboo, an aggressive runner. Does anyone know how far it could spread?

• alan_l
    13 years ago

If you don't do anything to stop it, it can spread 15' or more in a single growing season. If you don't want it to go too far, you should rhizome prune or install a barrier.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Expanding on what webgator said about "well after," I'd let the rhizome shoot and then take a division from it the following spring. It takes a number of months before a fully-leafed-out new shoot is established enough to have the "umbilical cord" cut. If you took the division the same year, it night not be until late summer or early fall and would likely not have enough time to get stabilized in a pot or in the ground before cold weather hits.

• rond1
    13 years ago

I have a large planting of bamboo in my yard its about 15 feet by 3 feet. Now they are growing all over a 40 foot section of my yard and would like to transplant some to make a privacy barrier. Over the spring between me and my neighbor we lost 3 huge evergreens, so now there is no privacy and my neighbor had suggested to transplant bamboo in one row to create privacy. I told him about the spreading problem he said he did not care. if they sprout on his lawn he said he would cut them down if he did not like its location. I don't know what type of bamboo I have it grows to about 25 feet and the diameter is about 2 inches.

However, I noticed that over 100 shoots that shot up this spring only about 20 have survived I guess they were chomped on by the squirls and the rest look liked they rotted. and about four snapped in a wind storm

I transplanted two bamboo about 4 months old today. I dug down about 11 inches with a root ball about 12inches around and planted them in a mix of two year old compost and dirt.

My question is did I do this transplant correctly, should I wait till next spring to transplant?

Also I hear so much about bamboo causing horrible spreading problems. after 10 years of having them in my yard they have not become invasive. I'm just wondering about the house foundation and sewer line but the bamboo is about 100 feet from the house and sewer line.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

If this is transplant came up this year, it may not survive. For bamboo, you should take a division that is at least a year old. When you dig up a shoot/culm the same year it comes up it's still too dependent on the connection to the rest of the plant and is less likely to survive. Keep it watered and hope for the best.

Running bamboo does spread. Mowing or breaking off new shoots will prevent new culms but you will still have an extensive network of underground rhizomes over time, and these can occasionally surface or cause bumps in the lawn. I usually keep everything in check with a pickax: I sever the rhizome and pry it out of the ground.

As far as your sewer and foundation...those are just urban myths. First, bamboo rhizomes rarely go more than 12" below the surface, and, unlike tree roots, they are not attracted to sewer lines. They also will not magically break a foundation. There is no way they can get into intact concrete. If you have big cracks in your foundation, they may, by accident go into that, but it's highly unlikely. The only problem I have ever had with running bamboo is having the rhizomes go under my asphalt driveway: they are attracted to warmth and can cause a little hump, like a tree root does, because the asphalt is so pliable in the sun.

• rond1
    13 years ago

thanks for the info Kudzu9 I will transplant the older bamboo and see what happens. next spring I plan on making chicken wire barriers to put around the new shoots to keep the squirls away.