Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is best time to dig/transplant boo?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 16:39

I've got some first year shoots that have leafed out pretty much, and want to transplant them to cover the view of the junkyard which is our neighbors property. When is the best time to cut it to transplant it? My boo is finally starting to take off after a few years of doing hardly anything. Should I cut the first year plants to transplant, or is it better to take an older shoot? Thanks for any help/advice! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is best time to dig/transplant boo?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 18:13

Next year in the spring would be the best time to transplant this year's growth. Forget what you know about other plants when you think about bamboo. New shoots/culms are dependent on the mother plant for a number of months. Taking a division of new bamboo growth is like snipping a baby's umbilical cord before it's at full term.

And when you talk about wanting to "cut it to transplant it," I hope you are aware that you need to dig up a large root ball along with the culm(s) whenever you are doing a transplant.

o
RE: When is best time to dig/transplant boo?

It depends on what you have. I took several moso, and bissetii divisions a few weeks ago and lost about 1/4 of the moso divisions while the bissetii divisions all held on strong without losing foliage.

Some species can be very easy to transplant as long as you keep a big enough root ball on it and a nice long section of rhizome to go along while others are a bit trickier no matter how carefully you take the divisions but if you are not in a rush, I would suggest waiting until spring right before shooting season when the culms/rhizomes are at their highest starch levels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here