Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo alternatives

Posted by amiriliano 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 16:57

HI all, greetings from Philly. I was wondering if there are any cheaper, less invasive options for live screens other than bamboo.

Horsetail looks great but needs to be near water. Anything else like that that would work in my regular yard?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo alternatives

mischanthus foridus
7 ft, grass

o

Firstly, not all bamboos are invasive. Fargesia and other clumpers are safe. I use Fargesia rufa in Zone7a (protected from hot hot in a kind of protected eastern exposure). Btw, if you are in Philly, your zone is 7a. This bamboo wall was started several years ago from a few tiny, expensive pots.

o

amirialano-
Whatever you do, don't plant horsetail. Now that is an invasive weed that makes running bamboo look quite well behaved. I second the motion to consider a cold-resistant clumping bamboo, like one of the Fargesias.

o

I know Fargesia has the reputation of not thriving in hot summers, BUT,
at least with the species 'rufa', it does VERY well in summers with tropical heat and humidity as long as it gets some protection from the hottest sun. (If you are prone to high Summer heat and drought though, that would be a limiting factor.)

o

• Posted by Ninkasi 6ish (Germany) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 13:38

I would also say to keep an open mind about horsetail. My neighbor had this in San Diego in a sunny front yard and it was hardly watered. It did great there. Many others had them in the neighborhood and none of them were in ponds, just sandy front yards. Just because it grows great on riverbanks doesn't mean that is the only place it thrives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here