Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unautre

first Ot. aztecorm/MX Weeping coming up gangbusters

unautre
18 years ago

Got this bamboo as a small division late last summer. It put up a few thin, short culms early this spring ("sun catchers", I call them), but with hot weather of the past 3 weeks, I got 3 nice, much taller vertical culms, and 2 even bigger shoots on the way.

The container is a 19-gal unit, about 24" diam. Note how this center-planted "clumper" is putting up the lastest, biggest culms right at the edge of the container. The earlier, much thinner culms are tightly clumped around the original culms in the center of the container.

It's a really lovely, full-sun bamboo, with a very different, delicate, un-bamboo apperance.

{{gwi:414686}}

{{gwi:414687}}

{{gwi:414688}}

Comments (4)

• unautre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

btw, does anybody have any hints from experience for dividing an Ot. aztecorum?

I'd really like to have 5 or 6 pots of it.

• kentuck_8b
    18 years ago

I would divide it like any other clumper. I would also wait until the shoots harden-off.

Mine is still putting up shoots, the largest being about an inch in diameter. It has only been in the ground for a little over a year, and it has really taken off, and yes, it is an open clumper.

Kt

• flourboy
    18 years ago

I have about 20 seedlings of Otatea that just came up last week. I've never grown bamboo from seeds so this is pretty exciting. Last night I started some Chusquea coronalis as well. Since I'm in zone 7 I am going to have to bring the plants indoors and grow them under light.

• socalboo
    18 years ago

For divisions, makes it a lot easier to have some loose soil. Try to knock off with hose to expose as much as the roots as you can. cut division as close to original shoot as you can. KEEP WET AT ALL TIMES! There was a link to a 'boo retailer demonstrating division techniques that is probably on page 2-4 by now that is very instructive with good photos.

Or, you can try the blind method - just pull planter out, get an old saw (one that you don't care if it gets dull) and just saw out a couple shoots. It's not nearly as successful as the method above, but if you've got compacted soil, might not have a choice. I usually save my old 12 inch sawzall blades from home improvement projects and break them out for this. Also have old 24 inch handsaw which works well too. Try to keep a couple of shoots per division, which will improve your chances of success. Don't get too greedy - ie don't try to divide the plant too many times.

You find with all Otateas, and especically O. Acum. Aztec (Mex Weep) that they are wandering clumpers...meaning they are pretty open clumpers. Actually makes divisions easier than a tighter clump.

And Kentuck is right on - don't divide with new shoots. Be patient. You'll be rewarded.

Good luck.

Sponsored