Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hsvcara

Thinking of planting bamboo...

hsvcara
15 years ago

I've read a few of the latest posts on here, so I hope that my questions aren't ones that are asked every single week and therefore annoy everyone...

I know that bamboo can be very expensive and can get out-of-control, so I don't want to make a mistake.

---The attached picture will hopefully help my description ---

I have a new (one year) construction house, and the lot was built up with fill churt (clay and limestone chunks), and I have a drainage ditch that runs the length of my property. The fill dirt is of course eroding into the drainage ditch, and I just found out from the county that I can basically do whatever I want to the ditch, as long as it doesn't prevent the flow of excessive storm water.

Across the ditch are the backyards of 3 neighbors. Their lots are perpendicular to mine, so I have a desire to block the view between our houses.

SO, I've thought about planting bamboo at the bottom of the ditch... a clumping variety of course, between 10-15' tall.

My questions are:

Do you think this is a good idea? I live in a subdivision and plan on selling the house within a few years - could the bamboo possibly turn someone off?

If I needed to get rid of the bamboo, how hard would it be?

How would I prevent the bamboo from spreading into unwanted areas?

I've read some posts that talk about trenches - what is the significance of trenches with bamboo?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Here is a pic of my property & ditch, taken from the road. The 3 neighbors are to the right of the ditch, all of their backyards butting up to it.

{{gwi:414749}}

Comment (1)