Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Fargesia rufa 'Green Panda' propagation.

paul3636
16 years ago

I just ordered a green panda and it should be hardy in zone 6. This is my 1st bamboo and would like to learn how to care for it.

I would like to wait one, two or three years as you suggest to propagate.

What is the best way and best time of the year.

Any tips propagating "Green Panda" and caring for It will be appreciated.

Paul

Comments (8)

• nomadh
    16 years ago

Personally if I want to keep something alive I get it in the ground. Pots can be fine but I've lost alot of bamboo because of watering problem where the boos in the ground were fine. Specially if its hardy in your zone. Compost and mulch always helps but most bamboo isn't too picky.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

I am also in MAz6 and planted some fargesia last summer. the rufa is in an area sheltered by the wind and is growing great.It was green all winter. The f.robusta and f.scabrida were in a windy area and totally defoliated. they are now coming back slowly, but the rufais growing like a weed.Give it a lot of water in the dry summer months and don't plant in FULL sun.First year you can fertilize wit a top dressing of composted manure,nothing strong or harsh. good luck and get it in the ground.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish I could plant it in the ground but I live in a condo complex and have very little land of my own to plant in. The reason "green pander" was choosen is because it is supposed to be the smallest of the hardy bamboos for shady areas. I don't know too much about it but was told to split it every couple or three years if it is grown in a container.
    I was planing to use a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of prepackaged soil mix and turface and can get a supply of fish and seeweed liquid fertilizer.
    Would this be OK?
    Paul

• noki
    16 years ago

I just bought a 'Green Panda' and think I have a decent spot to place it. Sounds perfect for me, but that may be just the hype. I am ignorant about Bamboo I admit.

The plant is very thick in the two gallon pot and some of the leaves are kinda of yellow... should I thin the plant out and cut out some of the older growth now? or just leave alone? Do you thin out clumping Bamboo and remove the older shoots as yearly maintainance?

• roshan
    16 years ago

I'm a newbie wanna be Boo buyer. Just not sure what to buy for clay soil in 92223 zip with 6.5ph. Also don't want Boo to grow over 20' in one part of yard and around 5' in other part where I'd like a Boo hedge running between our home and neighbors in the front yard. Any suggestions?

• paul3636
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Most of us need help and this should be the place to get it. Thanks to the 2 that tried.
    Paul

• nucci60
    16 years ago

noki. the yellowing of the leaves is a natural process for bamboo. the plant will clean itself as new growth emerges and old leaves die.The plant will maintain itself.no need to cull.

• amymsoh
    12 years ago

Hi, this message is for Noki and any other that have already planted green panda in Ohio. What are your results? I would like a privacy screen, but would like it not too thick or clumpy, more narrow, but dont' want to fool with the running type. I am considering this type for that area that gets mostly shade. Please let me know if you have a moment. Thanks!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz