Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scijox

Newly shipped... DOA?

scijox
15 years ago

Hi I am new at growing Bamboo and recently bought myself some P. Nuda. I knew it could survive my cold climate. Anyway I finally got my bamboo but when it arrived it seemed rather... sick. The message I got with the shipment said not to alarmed by "some" defoliation. My bamboo looks hardly alive at all. I want to know if this is normal and if my little bamboo will make it. I thought I saw new growth but they don't seem to change. Attached are pics.

I have started pulling off dead leaves.

I am not sure what to do. Should I cut it back and hope for the best? Do you think new shoots should come up? OR am I just screwed?

Comments (12)

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Looks like it will be OK. It needs some water and some sunshine.

I have never received one that looks that bad, but some did have dead leaves on them. As long as the culms are green and there are some green leaves, it can survive.

I personally don't remove any leaves nor do any cutting back as that damages the plant even more. I think it is best to let it lose it's leaves on its's own. Just don't water too much as this can also kill a small sickly plant. Let it dry out a bit in between waterings.

Good Luck

Kt

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pot I have seems to be staying moist too much I really hope this little guy makes it.

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK my bamboo is getting even worse.... It's lost more leaves and I am ready to just ask my supplier to ship me a healthy plant... Would cutting back and hoping for new growth work as a last ditch effort?

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

I recommend that you don't traumatize it any more than it is. Just keep watering it normally and see if it makes a comeback. I've seen bamboo completely defoliate through neglect and bounce back with proper care.

But I also think at this stage it's reasonable for you to get another plant from the supplier. He should be ashamed of shipping off a plant like that in the first place. Was this a legitimate online nursery, or someone selling on eBay or something?

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was an online nursery. I don't remember the exact name but I have the email of the owner and I have been communicating with him. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I have yet to see new growth and still dunno how to coax it into putting out some new leaves.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

scijox-
    It may be too far gone...or it may recover. The only thing you can do is treat it as it it were alive and let it have normal light and water. If it does recover, it will take more time than this. In fact it could take several months before you see any hopeful signs.

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just hope it has a chance to establish before the cruel buffalo winter arrives.

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Please don't cut it back, I did that with a boo I had gotten mail order, because it was losing leaves, but the main stem was still green. As long as the main stem is still green, that is a *good* sign. It will hibernate for at least a year. I got a great specimen of yellow groove boo this year, put it in the ground, and it lost a lot of leaves, looked pretty bad actually. I just would occasionally water it, and it's putting out new shoots already! :) I bit the bullet and ordered a larger size boo, I had gotten a number 1 size (smallest) of a p. vivax and it didn't do anything, just sat there and died after 2 years. And it looked fine, but was a PUNY plant.

It may surprise you (in a good way) next year. I hope it does! :)

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine's a really puny plant.... Only about a foot and a half tall. The main stem is still green though. I guess I'll put it in the ground and hope for the best?

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

New growth has appeared! Looks like it's ganna make it.

• raiz
    15 years ago

Wow, that's the worst looking bamboo I've ever seen. If it can make it through that, it can make it through anything. Congrats scijox!

• hello_c_j_here
    15 years ago

I'd still request a replacement. Lets see pics of the patient... I love success stories :-)
    Blessings