Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_marietta_sc_z8a

Can you ID this bamboo

This bamboo clump is 30 feet high and is growing in zone 8a. It has never shown any signs of cold damage.

{{gwi:415333}}

{{gwi:415334}}

{{gwi:415335}}

{{gwi:415336}}

{{gwi:415338}}

Comments (9)

• mikemcg
    17 years ago

Mike,
    Didn't you post a picture of this clump before but from a different angle? At the time you named it. Is this just to challange some of the readers or do you now think it may have been mis-identified? In any case it is a great looking bamboo.

If it is as you identified it, I have some here for a number of years but it has really been struggling because I planted it too close to the fence and then put horses in that field and this is one of their favorites. Also I usually do not have trouble losing shoots but the rabbits also like this bamboo.

Mike near Brenham TX

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm pretty sure what it is, but posted this as a challenge for the readers to try to figure out.

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

It is a running bamboo, growing as, or trimmed to look as, a clumping bamboo?

I don't know of any clumping bamboo that gets that large and does not show any signs of cold damage in z8a.

Nice looking clump, very erect, and I MUST get some...whatever it is.

Kt

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll let the cat out of the bag, its Semiarundinaria fastuosa. When S. fastuosa is grown, allowing only the shoots that come up next to the original plant to grow, it grows up to form a dead-ringer for a mid-sized tropical clumper, complete with mid-summer shooting. So far, it has only sent up shoots (which I remove) up to 8 feet from the clump and is MUCH less invasive than Yushania anceps. Its very easy to control and over the years has been sending up fewer wandering shoots as the main clump increases in size and dominance. When grown in this manner, it has a completely different aspect than when it is allowed to run unchecked.

Mike

• stockwell
    17 years ago

That's pretty cool! I've a fastuosa in a container waiting to be planted. I think I'll try this method. when you decide to remove a shoot do you yank the rhizome out back to the mother as well or is just severing the shoot enough?

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just severe the shoot.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Your first pic, how many years did it take to get to where it is in that pic? I cant seem to get my oldhammi to grow, I am trying alphonso now..

Thanks,
    Kevin

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was planted in 1995.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Oh crap, I will be dead by the time my boos get to look that good in my two clumping plantings I have.. Actually put them right next two each other as one plant. The alphonso is putting up three new shoots and the oldhammi is putting up one... all very small :(

Sponsored