Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonyaz

Phyllostachys vivax 'Huangwenzhu Inversa' dead?

nonyaz
12 years ago

I'm a bit frustrated, I think I've killed my second Inversa. The first one I could attribute to planting it too deep, the second one however I'm not so sure. The first one I bought was a 2 gallon, the second time I bought a large 5 gallon one.

So the second one was doing great for the whole summer, then this winter, the leaves died off and some of the canes split open, but I thought for sure it would send up new shoots, but it did not. I just dug it up today to do a post mortem analysis, and it made some massive roots, as thick or thicker than the canes and in all directions, like 5ft in each direction! I can't believe it didn't have enough energy in its massive root system to put up any new shoots. Each root was the same story, a soggy and rotted "end", but otherwise apparently healthy root all the way to the base.

It is a wet area, but I have an Phyllostachys atrovaginata at the same level, and a nuda in an even worse part of the yard, both doing fine this spring. I know I'm pushing it for my zone with this boo, but I thought at the worst it will just kill off all old growth and start fresh every year. Any ideas?

Here are some bad pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/AWasilenko/Bamboo2011#

Comment (1)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler