Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will_3

Raised bed's for large bamboo ??

will_3
17 years ago

I understand it is not ideal but I must restrict the area I allow for clumping bamboo.

The Plan: I want to plant some varities of tall clumping bamboo... oldhamii or black bamboo or Golden Hawaiian, wamin or buddah's belly or whatever.

Bed Design: I was going to use two 2x8's or two 2x10's or two 2x12's to make the raised beds so the top would be 16" or 20" or 24" above the ground. The boards would be held in place by pressure treated 4x4's that were 2 or 3 feet into the ground. I was going to put a 4x4 support every 4 feet long the raised bed. The bed would be about 70 feet long but only 4 foot wide... maybe a little less... maybe a littlem more.

The Wish: I hope to create a thick privacy hedge as tall and as thick and as quick as possible.

Understanding: I understand that bamboo, even clumping bamboo doesn't like to be resitricted but in this case it is either restrict it or don't have it.

Questions:

- How tall must I make the wall around the raised bed to keep the bamboo from growing under it?

- When it expands to the edge/wall of the bed will triming it back 6 inches on each side keep the bamboo healthy and happy?

Thanks for any comments and help.

Comments (17)

• unautre
    17 years ago

Untreated would will rot or be eaten termites

Pressure-treated wood ($$$) could will leach arsenic/copper into the soil, perhaps stunting/killing the plant.

I'd use a depth of 20" at least, 24" would be better.

You don't have much choice but to use p/t wood. Maybe isolate the p/t wood/poisons from contact with the bed soil by lining the inside of the p/t wood with pond liner.

70 feet is going to require about 10+ starer plants to create a screen, and much more than 10 if you're in a hurry for the screen to fill in.

Pruning culms will not harm the plant.

• will_3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

- I would be interested in hearing any other comments about growing bamboo in raised beds.
    - I was planning on using pressure treated wood. Has anyone else done this? How did it work?
    - What other material and tecniques have been used to grow bamboo in a raised bed?

thanks for any comments

• bobestes
    17 years ago

I'm building a bed with cinderblocks. More expensive, but swill work better than wood.

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Raised beds work fine. However, your idea of using it to restrict clumpers baffles me. By definition, clumpers don't go anywhere; they just slowly expand outward. At the time -- many, many years from now -- that a clumper reaches a 4' diameter root ball, timbers (if they still are intact) won't resist the sideways force of the rootball. If you're planning to built raised beds to contain clumpers, I think it's both a non-problem and a waste of money. I'll also point out that expecting to get a complete screen from clumpers that is 70' long is going to cost big bucks: you'll need quite a few plants because clumpers fill in so slowly. If it were me, I'd plant runners in a mound and not worry about containment or a raised bed. Planting in a mound helps keep the runners close to the surface, and it's not much work to annually chop off ones that stray too far. Don't let your fear of bamboo push you into doing too much work. Bamboo can be invasive if you ignore it, but controllable without great expense if you're willing to manintain it.

• Every Mann
    6 years ago

Revisiting this thread 11 years later. I have some bamboo that I panted in raised beds a year or two back--fortunately--and some that I transplanted directly into the ground from their 25 gallon containers. Those where I got lazy and planted in the ground are now clinging to life after a very unusual king tide covered most of my property with salt water a few weeks ago (zone 10a: a barrier island off the Gulf Coast of Florida).

Am curious to hear from anyone who has long-term experience with bamboo in raised beds. I have constructed 4' x 6' as well as 6' x 6' raised beds from pressure treated 2" x 12" lumber stacked 2x high...

• Sushant Mudholkar
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all I have a simliar requirement. I am looking to grow golden bamboo in a raised bed. I made a raised bed 2 feet tall 10 feet long x 2 feet wide . i lined it with tarp to avoid bamboo runners. Will this be good enough with controlling bamboo spread. I got really scared with all the horror stories that I put the plan on hold. I need some advice with the current setup I have . I love the plants and looking for options. The pic is little dated but this is what I have. Some folks told me that bamboo will break this in an year Or 2.

• Paso Pete
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kudzu9 - a local Bamboo grower here offers a box similar to the one shown above. They line it with 60 mil barrier, sides and bottom, and use clamping system vs hpde tape. Do you feel this will still not contain runners ? Would another possibility be raised beds ? I am looking for options other than leaving them in pots. Thx in advance for your input

• Stevanie Rideout
    3 years ago

Hi! I am considering the same thing and have been following this thread. Sushant Mudholkar, do you have any updates on your project? I'm curious to know. Thanks!

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Paso Pete- Just saw your post. If the soil in the planter is deep enough, say 24" SOIL DEPTH, a liner on the bottom is probably unnecessary; if ir isn't that deep, the rhizomes will attempt to escape where the liner sides meet the liner bottom as I can't imagine how that could be sealed adequately. It's possible that it might work, but the other problem is that, some years hence, when the bamboo gets rootbound in the planter, it will be impossible to divide it. That is why I would only plant bamboo in a planter box with removable sides, or put the bamboo in large pots that simply sit in the box with no other dirt around the outside of the pots.

• Paso Pete
    3 years ago

kuddzu9 - thx for response. My 'planter box' is 10'Wx2'Dx2'L.and is made from 2 x 6 with 4 x 4 posts. no wood on bottom. Sides and bottom lined with Bamboo Shield product. Drain holes in bottom only at sides, so anything escaping will be visible. The 'planter box' sits on a brick pad. Center posts are secured with cable to prevent bowing. I have planted runner-type so achieve the screening effect I need. Yes, should I not be able to divide from top, the front can be removed. I appreciated your posts and info. Thanks.

Stevanie - I also suggest you visit the various Bamboo growers websites, as you will find additional info that will be very helpful. I spent lots of time researching before I proceeded, and think with a little careful planning you can easily avoid some potential problems down the road and get the planting your are looking for. Hope this helps.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

Paso Pete-

Thanks for the response. I think that looks really good. The design and, particularly, the removable front and the fact that it's sitting on pavers should eliminate any potential issues. Most people are not capable of that level of attention or have the building ability to do something that sophisticated. You really did research this. :-)

• Hiela
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone, what an informative thread! I too am looking to set up a bamboo privavy hedge in raised planters in zone 5b. I have heard that runner in zone 5 do not spread quickly at all due to the weather condition, is that true? that would be very reassuring. We are in a tight urban space, I really want to avoid any issues but can't find better than a bamboo hedge with a 5 store building towering over my patio.

I am looking at 14 foot x 2x2 foot raised planter in a space that is 15 foot wide total. I am located in Zone 5b and unfortunately, no clumping bamboo will grow tall enough here (hoping for 10-12 ft). Planter set up on croncrete pavers, raised with blocks so I can see any potential runners. With intertior plastic containers (large storage totes with drainage holes?) so the bamboo can be taken out and "repotted" once root bound. (need to learn about that process)

I am still concerned about roots pushing against the planter/neighbors fences, so I was considering adding cinder blocks on each side, between the planters and the neighboring fence just in case. It wont help for my back fence though.

Given all the above, would that be enough to contain and run no risk of issues?

Should I do things differently?

• Paso Pete
    2 years ago

Hiela - what I did to address the possibility of the long sides 'bowing out' was to use eye bolts and wire with turnbuckles and attach on either side. look at my pic above - I used them on the 2 'center' 4 x 4's. I used those at the tops of the planter, as I had a 2 x 4 crossways at bottom, keeping the bottom part from spreading. Hope I described this ok. Kudzu9 - what do you think?

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Paso Pete-

I think you nailed it... ;-)

• Hiela
    2 years ago

@kudzu9 You have mentioned large utility planters pots. I was looking for some and can only find round ones that are not very big. With the suggestion to plant bamboo every 3-5 foot. I was looking for rectangle utility planters that were 3 ft wide ideally. ANy source? I am assuming they will need to be cut out of them in a few years so not looking to spend several hundreds of dollar..

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Hiela-

Large utility pots are pretty readily available unless you live far away from a decent size town/city. I've bought used ones from nurseries and I have a large garden supply warehouse near me that sells large utility pots that come in various diameters such as 24", 32" and even 48". You won't find these at big box stores, but if you find the right place, they shouldn't be expensive. To give you an idea, the price for a 24" X 18" pot at my supply store is about $6.

As for rectangular, I doubt you could find anything much in larger sizes because a plastic pot with corners is structurally weak compared to something circular. And if you did find anything large it would be pretty expensive.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!