Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Clumpers

Posted by sabine_2007 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 22:45

Has anyone ever grown a tropical clumper like Bambusa chungii in the western part of WA state? I just ordered one and wondering if it can survive here or if I should keep it in a pot and move inside during cold weather.
Sabine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Clumpers

I live in Western WA (Seattle area), and I don't think there is anywhere in our state that you can get that species to survive outdoors during the winter. It's only hardy to about 20F, and it will probably experience culm and foliage damage or topkill a few degrees below freezing. I have about 70 varieties of bamboo, and my experience is that most of the tropical clumpers are not suited for our area...I've lost several that were hardier than B. chungii. Although I have a couple of tropical clumpers, they are in pots and go into my heated greenhouse every fall. What you've got is a beautiful bamboo, but you are going to have to move to Louisiana or Florida if you want to grow it outdoors year around.

o
RE: Tropical Clumpers

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 0:59

Many hot climate plants don't like our cool summers, even if their minimum temperature tolerance is comparatively strong.

And there is a difference between a couple sharp nights followed by a return to 70 degrees F. and two weeks of cold that solidly freezes the soil (and roots) to a fair depth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here