Where to buy seeds of bamboo ?

Comments (15)

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

What species of are you looking for?

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

David-
    Bamboo hardly ever flower, so you can't just buy seeds for the species you want. There are always a few species in flower at any given time, but you're limited to what's available, and the seeds lose viability quickly, so it's good to get them from a reliable source that can guarantee freshness. In addition, if you are successful in growing from seed, it will takes 3-5 years for most species to even reach person height.

You can find seeds on eBay, but many of them are from foreign sources and it's illegal to import the seed without a permit and a 1-year quarantine.

All of this is to say that, if you want to grow bamboo in a reasonable period of time, and have a good selection of species, you should do what most of us do: spend the money to acquire potted bamboo, or work out a trade with someone who will give you a division of their plant.

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

I have some extra Moso or Strictus I could send you if you want them. Email me with your address and I will send you some if you want them.

nexshark@yahoo.com

• david_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bambookid524 I was looking at pictures and these stood out to me.Bambusa chungii Bambusa chungii var. barbelatta
    Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' *
    Bambusa
    lako *
    Bambusa
    pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus' *
    Borinda
    fungosa *
    Chimonobambusa
    quadrangularis
    Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda *
    Chusquea
    mimosa ssp. Australis *
    Gigantochloa
    maxima
    Himalayacalamus
    falconeri 'Damarapa' CANDY-STRIPE *
    Himalayacalamus
    planatus **
    Phyllostachys
    nigra **
    Phyllostachys
    violascens *
    Semiarundinaria
    fastuosa *
    Sinobambusa
    tootsik 'Albostriata' *
    I would like to try any including the ones you offered me. Thank you I sent you a email.

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

OK. I sent you Moso, and Strictus. I just planted the last of my Lako, and don't have any other types right now. I have a friend sending some Fargesia Nitida seeds but not sure on the quantity.

-Steve

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

David-
    That's an interesting list you provided, but, as I mentioned above, most of those are not in flower, so there are no seeds available for them. When I said that bamboo don't flower frequently, I should have been a little clearer, I guess. Bamboo typically flower only every several decades, or even once in 100-200 years, depending on species. There are many bamboo you are interested in which will not flower in your lifetime.

• david_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bambookid524 thank you very much. kudzu9 Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can buy more locally in south Fl ?

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

No. I got mine on ebay, but be careful because a lot of people sell non-viable seeds. I guess I got lucky.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

David-
    When you asked about buying more locally, did you mean seeds or plants?

• david_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kudzu9 I would want either seeds or plants whatever I could find.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

David-
    There are quite a few reliable bamboo nurseries in south Florida. Below is the link to the American Bamboo Society's list of member nurseries. You can scroll down toward the bottom of that page to get State-by-State listings of names, and then scroll up to get the exact addresses. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS nurseries

• david_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kudzu9 thanks for the links. bambookid524 thanks for the seeds. Do I soak them in water for a day or just plant them ?

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

David-
    I usually put them in the refrigerator (not the freezer) for about 3 weeks; this cold stratification is said to help with germination. Then simply plant them just below the surface in a good seed-starting mix and keep moist. Bottom heat at about 80F can also help. Good luck.

• david_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kudzu9 thank you

• tufanewbe
    15 years ago

david check out bamboo man in south miami near the falls. I lost his exact address so look him up online. He has great plants and a wide variety.