Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to get?

Posted by sambo725 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 23:02

I live in the panhandle of Florida. At times it can dip into the mid or even low 20s for short periods of time. I am looking to get the biggest clumping bamboo that will safely grow in my climate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to get?

Bambusa distegia, bambusa malingensis, bambusa dolichoclada and variations, bambusa dolichomerithalla and variations, Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' - Asian Lemon Bamboo and Asian Lime, Bambusa Beecheyana (some species not infected with the mosaic potex virus), Bambusa Chungii, Bambusa Dissimilis, Bambusa Textillis Kanapaha, my personal favorite Bambusa Ventricosa 'Clone x', Bambusa Ventricosa, Bambusa Dissimilator Bambusa eutuldoides 'Basistriata'. These bamboos are all clumping and have a cold tolerance of 21 or lower. While their cane thickness is 2-3 inches depending on species. However a few would not be considered "timber bamboo". Are you using the bamboo as a hedge/wall, specimen, or crafts?

o
RE: what to get?

The largest clumper here, with similar temps as you, is Bambusa textilis, growing to over 40 feet in height and a very neat looking bamboo. It is the cold hardiest of the large clumpers for this area and rarely gets any damage, even with temps down into the low teens for short periods.

Bambusa oldhamii grows to similar height, has larger culms, is more erect/upright but is not quite as cold hardy so it might need some northwind protection.

I have others that get large, but get burn by cold weather and sometimes the culms even freeze back.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here