Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. aureosulcata 'spectabilis' flowering

Posted by treeguy_ny z6a WNY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 23:38

Hey all,

My 'spectabilis' is flowering! : (

I noticed the flowers today while trimming out dead canes from this year's winter damage. So far, only a few flowers are present on last year's canes. I was very excited as my 'spectabilis' put out 18-20 canes this spring with the tallest being 6-7 feet. I hope it's not doomed now that it's started flowering!

Question 1 - is anyone else's 'spectabilis' flowering?

Question 2 - is my plant doomed to a slow death or is there a possibility of it recovering from flowering? As I mentioned, I've only noticed a handful of flowers on last year's canes that survived this past winter.

Thanks for your input! I can take pictures tomorrow and post them if need be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. aureosulcata 'spectabilis' flowering

None of mine show signs of flowering. You should probably save the seeds in the fall once they fully ripen.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 18:12

haven't noticed anything

o

I havent nopticed my spectabilis flowering but I do have some P. aurosulcata 'yellow groove' that seems to be flowering this year. So far only a few within a large grove seem to be flowering but they are full of seed bunches. I filled a large ziplock bag in just a few minutes. I took some pictures of the seed bunches and may post them when i get a minute

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 23:48

Mine have been spreading like crazy, but no flowering, either.
Photobucket

o

My Spectabilis is not flowering, either.

o

Mine is. Bummer.
One of my reference books says that sometimes flowering can be stopped if you remove the flowering culms and fertilize the plant liberally with nitrogen fertilizer. It also says flowering is not always lethal. Maybe someone else here knows more.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 13:14

Flowering is not very well understood. There are various approaches to trying to save flowering bamboo, but there is no guarantee that any of them will work in particular cases. The link below -- posted on the web site of the American Bamboo Society -- provides an interesting discussion of the phenomenon.

Here is a link that might be useful: When Bamboo Flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here