Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Large Bamboo

Posted by tsmith2579 Z7B/8A-Alabama (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 0:32

The wife and I want to plant the large pole bamboo like the Asians use to build scaffolding. There is some growing by the roadside so all I have to do is dig it. We want to limit its spreading . I can purchase the inside metal tub of an old washing machine which has drainage holes all throught the sides and bottom. Do you think this will be ok to use to contain the bamboo and for it to grow? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Large Bamboo

It's only going to be happy in that tub for a couple of years. Then it will get rootbound and probably decline. In addition, it will probably send runners out the holes, which will defeat your purpose. Finally, if you want to get it out of the tub later, I predict this will be nearly impossible without demolishing the tub. My recommendation: plant it in the ground and install a standard bamboo barrier, or do what I do and simply rhizome prune each year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here