Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skie_m

Is there a guide for planting/transplanting/cutting bamboo?

Skie_M
9 years ago

I live in southwestern oklahoma, and I've noticed several stands of very tall grass which appears to be of a bamboo variety. I'ld love to plant some of this along the south side of my house for a bit of extra shade in the summer as well as for material for building projects.

Is there already an established guide for taking cuttings or planting seeds of an existing stand? I know that they grow in several different places around here, but what kind of soil do they thrive in? Will they respond well to Aquaponics techniques? I'm not even sure of what species they are... o.O

Comments (5)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Post a picture. It might not be bamboo. Also, any bamboo growing in Oklahoma will not be a variety that can be propagated from cuttings, and you won't find seeds as they are only produced every 20-150 years. If this is really bamboo, I can advise you on how to take a division.

• Skie_M
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm fairly sure it's not an actual bamboo species, but it's a very tall woody-stalked grass.

It has sections like bamboo, with the hollow cylindrical structure, the segments are roughly 3 - 12 inches long, depending on the size of the stalk ... the stalks sometimes top out over 15 feet tall.

I have no idea what species it is, just thinking it's commonly called tallgrass ... the kind of grass that used to be all over the old west and high enough that a horse rider (on his horse) could just ride in and be totally hidden ... I'm thinking it's a native grass. Everybody around here just calls it bamboo, but knows it's not really bamboo ....

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I suspect it is a grass -- not bamboo -- and it could be Japanese knotweed or Arundo donax, neither of which I would knowingly plant. Gardenweb has an Ornamental Grasses Forum, and you may get better help with an ID there, particularly if you include a picture.

• Skie_M
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Honestly, I'm not actually 100% concerned about what species of grass it is, I just would like to plant a stand of it in my back yard for easy access to a fast-growing renewable resource for various construction projects. :)

Is there a guide to taking viable cuttings of this type of grass and nurturing them? Or do I need to dig some up to transplant? Or is it best to raise them from seeds/seedlings?

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

As I mentioned, you'll probably get a better answer by posting in the Ornamental Grasses Forum. Although bamboo is a grass, it has very different propagation characteristics from other grasses. Those of us who are into bamboo are not necessarily informed about propagation of the types of grasses you are enquiring about. Also, since it's not clear what you have without some photos or a better description, it makes it hard to give you reliable advice.