Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall container bamboo for Los Angeles?

Posted by mariadev CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 1:38

I have a concrete alley behind a guest house in our back yard where I would like to plant bamboo to act as a privacy screen.

Its the first time that I have grown bamboo and I guess container planting is not the easiest. I think I've gathered that V shaped plastic pots with drainage holes are the best, but that it will likely get root-bound and need to be taken out and split in 4 years??

Would anyone have any suggestions on what variety I could use? Ideally, I would want tall, tall plants (I know they dont grow to their full height in containers), not messy, with not too much leaves at the base of the plant. We're in Los Angeles, and the alley is pretty shady.

Also, I'd love to hear any other tips!

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall container bamboo for Los Angeles?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 12:34

When you say "tall, tall," what maximum height are you thinking?

o

hmm, around 40 feet would be perfect, but I don't think I can find any disadvantages if it grows taller than that.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 13:45

You're unlikely to have any bamboo in pots that will approach 40'...20' is a more reasonable expectation. I grow a lot of kinds of bamboo in the ground, and none of mine are at even the 30' level. The only time I saw bamboo in containers where the culms were 40' high was inside a shopping mall where the plants were in massive concrete containers 6' high and quite wide and deep.
As you are in Los Angeles, there are a lot of bamboo that will grow well for you; your main problem will be keeping them well-watered in pots. I am not going to recommend a species as there are so many that can be grown in containers in your area. Instead, you should go to a local bamboo nursery to see what various kinds look like and to get recommendations on what will do well in your situation. Below is a link with a little more info on growing bamboo

Here is a link that might be useful: Container bamboo

o

thanks a lot for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here