Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackgumbo

Got the Boo bug in Houston, advice?

blackgumbo
16 years ago

Looking at planting some bamboo! I have a side of the house that is crying for a stand of bamboo. I gets full sun, soil isn't that great. Between my house and the 6 foot wooden fence is a tract of st.augustine grass about 8 feet wide. Full sun comes from the ends of this "alley", its oriented east-west long ways. My neighbors windows all face my windows and while I like them, I could go for a screen. My grandfather used to have a huge stand in his yard 10 ffet deep to the fence along one whole side of the yard and I loved it!

Looking for a suggestion to fill some of that area in a semi-random manner, and if shoots run under the fence I suppose my neighbor will just mow them down.

I don't want any sort that will be trouble for my foundation.

Area retains a little mositure with the black gumbo clays under the turf, but in dry spells it gets pretty, well, dry.

I was looking at something like meyeri, it seems about right. Suggestions on a good 10-20' tall, upright bamboo?

Also, summer heat is here, is it too late to plant in Houston?

And finally, if I took a raised bed approach and piled some good soil on top of the grass where I want this stuff to establish, will it eventually run through the St. Augustine and establish itself randomly? I can mow it down where I don't want it.

Clumpers, would they be better?

So many questions, apologies for newbie inquisitiveness, but browsing 10 pages of the forum left me with info overload.

Thanks!

Scott

http://blackgumbo.blogspot.com

Comments (6)

• Scott Wallace
    16 years ago

First, if you are in a neighborhood where your bamboo could be considered invasive then DON'T plant running bamboo. Even though you can mow it down where you don't want it doesn't mean others will do the same...you will just end up with some pissed off neighbors.

Instead plant any of the numerous clumpers. If you are looking for a screen any of the Multiplex varieties. These have a natural weeping effect so if you are looking for something a little straighter try B. Mutabilis.

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

I would suggest a clumping bamboo, perhaps one of the Bambusas.

B. multiplex, and it's varieties, such as Al Karr is a nice one.
    B.m. Silverstripe, B.m. Fernleaf, and B.m. Green Al Karr are a few others.

Taller bamboos are Bambusa textilis. Some of it's sub-species are a little shorter.

All are cold hardy in your area and love the heat.

Maas Nursery has some nice selections, and worth the trip out there to Seabrook.

Good Luck

Kt

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Also, Caldwell Nursery in Rosenburg has some nice clumpers.

Kt

• mikemcg
    16 years ago

Hi Scott,

From the description of the plot you have available, Kentuck's and Webgator's suggestion of a clumper such as a Bambusa would certainly be more appropriate than a Phyllostachys such as Ph. meyeri. The various B. multiplex bamboos are a good choice except they do tend to spread at the top if not trimmed. There are a lot of choices and my suggestion would be to visit Mercer BG just north of Bush Intercontinental airport and take a look at the bamboo they have before making any choice. One of the best times to visit would be one of the Saturday mornings that the Bamboo Group meets and you can ask Steve or Linda questions directly. See the link below. My own personal choice would be B. eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' (25')or B. pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus' (33') either of which should do great in Houston. The heights are from the ABS source list and some of the clumps I have seen are shorter than this but perhaps not fully mature.

Lastly, the Texas Bamboo Society will be having their annual bamboo festival at Zilker BG in Austin on 24 & 25 August (See http://www.texasbamboosociety.net/ & http://bamboocentral.net/bamboofestivals.html ) if you really have the "boo bug" I would recommend trying to make it.

Mike McG near Brenham TX

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercer Bamboo Group

• mikemcg
    16 years ago

I picked the dates for the TBS festival up from the TBS website and I just noticed that the Bamboo Central's website says 25 & 26 August. Since it is usually held on a Saturday and Sunday I believe Bamboo Central's dates are probably the correct ones.

Mike McG near Brenham TX

• prettyphysicslady
    16 years ago

We have some 'black timor' and 'golden budda' we planted this spring in NW Houston. Both are in part shade and doing well despite the lack of sunshine we've seen. I just dumped them into our fine clay and they've settled in nicely and are putting out some impressive new stalks.

Both are clumpers so you don't have to worry about them escaping too much. Mercer also sell bamboo at some of its plant sales. I think they have another plant sale coming in Sept. I bought these online.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington