Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterson_gw

Question about black bamboo....

peterson
15 years ago

Hi, Guys.....In 2006, I bought some black bamboo lako, and black asper, and took them to my house in Sinaloa, Mexico. I decided that for once in my life I would carefully take notes, and mark the plants so I would have a good record where they were...didn't happen. For the first year they were borderline disaster. Barely alive. I then started digging up several varieties of bamboo from around town and planting it in my yard. Well, last year everything took off, and grew about 18' high. Last week, I made a trip down, and the trees grew another 4' or 5', and really thickened up.

I can see maybe 4 different shaped leaves in the bunch. But what really gets me, is there are pups coming up through the ground that are a few inches high, but from 2" to 2 1/2" in diameter. They're almost as wide as they are high, with kind of a diamond pattern on them.

So...what kind of bamboo pups do I have? I didn't get a chance to take photos of the this trip.

One bamboo I planted, I got from a neighbor, and his plants were about 40' high. I just cut sticks from his trees, and stuck them in the ground.

Any help will really be appreciated.

jim Peterson

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor