Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winnie13_gw

recent purchase of a Phyllostachys Nigra (black bamboo)

winnie13
16 years ago

hi all,

i recently purchase a phyllostachys nigra a black bamboo and when it arrived, the size of the bamboo was a huge diappointment. the stem is like toothpick width and it is shorter than 12 inches, very yellow. from what i saw at the catalog, it looked very big, like the size of my arms when fully developed, and now i have doubts about this plant, will it grow big or will it stay skinny forever.? i bought it pretty pricey...! i wanted to return it but its such a hassel to return online things, and if i return it,then where do i want get a black bamboo.... i have such bad luck at buying stuff online!!! >:/ help!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (10)

• cuttlefish
    16 years ago

Winnie13,

I'm going to assume you bought from e-bay or similar instead of from a nursery? I would suggest that in the future you always insist on seeing a picture of the item you are paying money for, not just what it COULD look like.

But assuming you got the right species, it survives this ordeal, and you give it lots of TLC, your bamboo will size up over the years.... um, but you're in zone 5 right? P. nigra will never get to the size of your arm, in fact, it may never even turn black for you because that only happens on older culms and (assuming you're putting this in the ground) you're likely to get topkill every winter and end up growing it like a perennial.

If you choose to return it (and if you paid a lot for it, I probably would) then find an online bamboo nursery. I can find you a list, but it will only help if you're in Canada. : P

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Winnie-
    You need to know something which I'm not sure you know. That little stick is never going to get bigger. The only way your plant will get bigger is through future shooting of new culms. It's not like a tree where the aboveground growth keeps getting bigger in diameter and height each year. Bamboo typically shoots once a year, usually in the spring, and whatever new growth you have that year reaches its permanent size in about 2 months. As the bamboo gets older, new shoots are bigger, but it will be many years before you will have it reach decent height, and it is complicated by the fact that if you plant it outside in Zone 5 it will get topkilled each year. You can grow black bamboo in a pot and bring it in for the winter in a location with decent light, but you should start with a decent size specimen. You can get a nice plant from a reliable online bamboo nursery for about $20 for a 1-gallon pot of nigra; $35 for a 3-gallon pot. Email me if you want some sources.

• winnie13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, i purchased it thru wayside gardens online.
    i bought stuff from them before but never have a problem with them, the bamboo is so yellow i think it may die soon.
    geez, i want a black bamboo that is at least going to be thumb size or something, not string size...
    they have guarantees on this bamboo tho..
    anyone know someone who might have and willing to mail a black bamboo to me for postage.?? prob not.... :o i am in massachusetts. please email me if you have a extra bamboo to spear..

• mancney
    16 years ago

Hi kudzu9,
    I am looking for a 3-gallon pot of P. Nigra. May I send you an email for your sources?
    Thank you.
    Mancney

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

mancney-
    Yes, please feel free to email me. The GardenWeb email system seems to be hit-or-miss, so if you don't get a response from me in two days, post again here and we'll figure out something. By the way, it would help to know your city and state.

• mancney
    16 years ago

Thank you, Kudzu9, I'll send you an email.
    I am located in Naples, Southwest Florida.
    Mancney

• roserobin_gw
    16 years ago

Cuttlefish and or Kudzu, or anyone else I am looking for a Canadian source of black bamboo at a reasonable price. The ones I have seen at the nurseries here are very expensive. Please let me know if you know of a source. I am on a gulf island off Vancouver island. thank you.

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

roserobin-
    I don't know what you consider expensive. The only site I'm familiar with in Canada is bambooworld.com in Chilliwack, about 40 miles east of Vancouver, BC. They want $37 for a 1 gallon container of nigra ($52 for 2 gal.; $74 for 3 gal.), which is about double what I would pay for that where I live in the U.S.

• roserobin_gw
    16 years ago

thanks kudzu for the information. That is less expensive than the nursery where they had only 5 gallons for $150. Wish it was available at US prices.

• cuttlefish
    16 years ago

roserobin,

The only place I know (so far) here in Ontario that has it will do mail order but is also pricey--they want $35 for a 1 gallon P. nigra. I have yet to get out there to have a look at the stuff, but they mainly do roses, so my expectations are low.
    I have purchased through bambooworld.com and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. They are great.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022