Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Why Golden Goddess?

User
12 years ago

Does anyone know why Golden Goddess is THE most commonly available, standard, cold-hardy bamboo sold in the USA. Why is this particular species of hardy bamboo the standard sold just about everywhere? Just curious. Thanks in advance.--Also, when was the last time it bloomed?

Comments (6)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

I didn't think it was that common, at least down here.

I would think it is popular becasuse of it's size...not too large. There are a number of other Bambusas that are equally as hardy.

Kt

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By Golden Goddess I do mean Phyllostachys aurea. It seems to be sold in every nursery to the exclusion of any other running bamboo. More recently, the clumping genus Fargesia is fairly common at garden nurseries. Not sure of the ultimate height of the Fargesia clan, but they are much slower growing but more temperamental in terms of climate requirements. You do realize that if the climate suits it, Golden Goddess will grow to 30 feet with two inch culms?!--That's pretty tall! My Golden Goddess grove at my previous house was about 30-35 feet in height.

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

We call Golden Goddess...Bambusa multiplex 'aka Golden Goddess".

P. aurea was one of the first bamboos introduced into the country so it has many years head start to spread across the country.

Kt

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

In my experience, "Golden Goddess" refers to Bambusa multiplex, a clumper. Ph. aurea is a runner, that is common and popular because it is hardy.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kudzu & Kentuck, you guys are both right--I should have entitled the post "Why GOLDEN bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea)?"--Yes, it is cold hardy, but there are others that are equally cold hardy, no?--I have some other Phyllostachys species and never noticed a difference among them (other than P. nigra which is somewhat more vulnerable to burning in the coldest of Winters.) Again, just curious as to what advantage P. aurea offers. In fact, as a disadvantage, it seems to be among the more aggressive of the Phyllostachys runners.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

I believe it was one of the first bamboos brought to the U.S. from China in the late 1800's. It's easily grown and spreads quickly, which is not a disadvantage if you want to use it for screening purposes.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting