Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo for a balcony screen, which can be kept below 150cm?

Posted by Alex_Holland none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 8:44

To the left (out of shot) is a piece of glass which is the main privacy-compromise on my balcony, so I'd like a slim, oblong planter, with a tall plant that creates a natural screen, in keeping with the zen theme.

Tall grass was my initial idea, although it does get windy here.. and I'd like it to be all-year. Bamboo seems very sturdy and in-theme, but grows very fast?

Is there a species I can get which either grows to under 150cm, or could easily be pruned and kept at that height, most or all the year round? The roof on my balcony is around 2 metres; and I'd like to keep it low enough to took over (under 150cm).

Alternatives (eg Grass?) I will also consider! Anything that can form a screen at the appropriate height and has somewhat of a zen-theme..

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo for a balcony screen, which can be kept below 150cm?

Hi Alex, I have the same patio grill :-)

I can think of no better plant for this application than 'Scouring-rush horsetail' aka Equisetum. It is a perfect choice contained to a planter, lives in wet conditions or dry. It will stay in the height that you want, and can be trimmed back if needed. Don't let the fact that it is a Florida native put you off, it can live in zone 3. You can protect it in winter.

When I lived in california my neighbors had it in a dry garden bed. It thrived. Here in Germany it is most often seen in ponds. It does great here too, very hard to kill, excellent for a balcony. You could keep it in a nice modern rectangular planter and don't even need holes for drainage. I bet it would love that and it will look great. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsetail

o

Here is another link with more information

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsetail reed

o

That is the stuff that immediately came to mind to me too, but I didn't know what it was called!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here