Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andy_p_gw

advice on cultivars

andy_p
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm planning on planting bamboo in a large pot (about 30" in diameter" in the ground to control spread. I'm in zone 6 and I'd like something that grows fairly quickly and gets to about 20 feet tall and would look good behind a mixed border.

Any suggestions?

Thanks -

Andy

Comments (7)

• madake
    13 years ago

Try YellowGrove... but in a 30" pot I don't know if you can get the height your after. Also, pots on running bamboo tend to choke off the plant, so you would want to pull it out of the pot and split it up every few years.
    Madake

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I'm assuming you mean that you would use a plastic utility pot, with vase-shaped sides, which is a requirement for the inevitable re-potting: any pot used must have the top opening as the largest diameter or it will be nearly impossible to remove the bamboo from it once the woody rhizomes expand out to the sides. Also, be aware that a 30" diameter root ball will be extremely hard to get out of the ground for dividing and re-potting. Lastly, while the pot will probably be good for containment, there is the possibility that a rhizome may at some point slip out of a drain hole. However, if this happens it is not a big deal as it can be chopped off and pulled out of the ground once it becomes evident.

• madake
    13 years ago

Can you get a 20ft height out of a 30" pot? If so then I have hope for some of my bamboo :).

• kentuck_8b
    13 years ago

I grew B. oldhamii to over 22 feet in height in a 14 inch pot.

Kt

• madake
    13 years ago

22ft... that's good sized for a small pot. Everything I have in pots only reaches about 10 feet b4 I have to pull out and re-plant... of course most of my plants are runners except for the indoor plants (I tend to start my runners in pots and then move 'em out when they... well move out of the pot so to speak). I have yet to try B. oldhamii indoors (I think our Seattle winters would kill it outdoors) but now I want to get some :).

• madake
    13 years ago

22ft... that's good sized for a small pot. Everything I have in pots only reaches about 10 feet b4 I have to pull out and re-plant... of course most of my plants are runners except for the indoor plants (I tend to start my runners in pots and then move 'em out when they... well move out of the pot so to speak). I have yet to try B. oldhamii indoors (I think our Seattle winters would kill it outdoors) but now I want to get some :).

• andy_p
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Madake,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you suggest a good source for Yellow Grove?

Andy

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area