Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moso vs. Vivax vs. Henon Bamboo

Posted by gigman7 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:23

I'm looking at buying some bamboo. I want it to be at least 4 inches in diameter. I'm looking at Moso, Vivax, and Henon. I do not want it to take over an acre of my land in 4 or 5 years but worried that it may. Which species should I get? I want a green trunk. Not any of the stripped, or different colored ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moso vs. Vivax vs. Henon Bamboo

I doubt that you will get to 4" diameter any time soon, especially in Zone 7. I've been growing timber bamboo for over 10 years in Zone 8 and rarely have anything bigger than 2" diameter. Henon will never get that large regardless of where you live. Vivax can get large, but is thin-walled and breaks under snow loading. Moso is very strong and can get large, but don't expect miracles.

If you plant running bamboo, they only take over if you don't maintain them. If you want to try to grow bamboo like this, decide whether you will be installing barrier, or are willing to commit to rhizome pruning once or twice a year all around the perimeter you want to maintain. You won't have to do rhizome pruning for the first several years, but you will have to do it when they start to get established and run...and to continue to do it ever after.

o

Moso may be the slowest one to run.

Here's 3 years of progress in the ground on mine, and it does not seem to have any intention on taking over any time soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: moso bicolor diary

o

Are you sure it is moso? Any images I have seen have been 4"+ in size.

It is going to be slower growing since it is "bicolor". Anything that has a variegated form is going to grow slower. This could explain the smaller size, but I doubt it.

o

If bamboo was as invasive and hard to control as feared, the world would be completely covered with it by now. I've planted it in the middle of the pasture. What I don't mow down, the horses will eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Bamboo

o

gigman-
I started Moso from seed 10 years ago and after the third year it was about 5' high and 3/8" in diameter. Today it is 20' high and 1-1/4" in diameter. All the pictures you've seen of Moso at least 4" in diameter are in more temperate growing areas or have been growing for quite a few years. People like to post pictures of their giant Moso, but it doesn't get like that overnight. I'm not saying you can't get to 4" Moso, but you should be realistic on what to expect and how soon. Below is a link to a lot of Moso photos, with quite a few that aren't giant culms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moso pix

o

The ones in my pictures are definitely moso bicolor. Just look at the close up pictures and you can tell it's distinctive fuzzy culms that generally have pretty short internodes.

Green moso may be more prolific, but it's still not know to spread very fast. Most people try to get them to spread faster through fertilization. Another reason why mine haven't spread at all is because I do take off divisions, but even if I did not, it would not have taken up that much space.

o

It's interesting, and looks very nice.

o

There are many other forms of moso that I intend to have added next year to my ever expanding collection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here