Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Bamboo

Posted by sp0ng3r (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 11:11

I am looking for indoor bamboo. It will obviously be staying in a pot and I am looking for something that will do well either near a window or even not by one (either is fine). I love bamboo, but do not want to plant it in my yard as it will likely take over. What different types of bamboo will do well indoors and not die out or get browned tips. I am looking for as many species that will work. I want to take a look at my options then decide between them. If someone could direct me in the right direction as to which species will work, and the pros/cons of each in regards to them being indoors.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Bamboo

I would stick with a tropical species if it's for the house. I would suggest either Bambusa vittata or Bambusa multiplex as I have had both survive in the house long term. I'm not sure how the temperate species (Phyllostachys for example) would do in the home without a real Winter.

o

I just ran across this website. I really like the look of the green onion bamboo. How well does everyone feel that this site is accurate, and do you agree with the green onion bamboo being a good indoor bamboo?

http://www.lewisbamboo.com/indoor-bamboo.html

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 11:04

Lewis Bamboo is a reliable vendor, and this bamboo does well in shady conditions, so it is fine for indoors. It has persistent culm sheaths (the papery wrappings) so you may want to pull those off when they become loose if you don't like that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culm sheaths

o

Thanks!

o

If you can give them a break (taking them out for a few months in winter), you are not limited to those named "indoor".

Here is what I did for Tiger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here