Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

Why is Moso oh-so popular?

tcstoehr
18 years ago

Seems like everyone wants to grow it where it doesn't do well.

Why grow it where it languishes?

Is it misplaced hope of giant culms?

Is it the tasty late-winter shoots?

Is it the seductive oriental mystique?

Is it exquisitely beautiful?

All of the above?

I genuinely want to know... why do you do it?

I must confess I've considered growing it myself for early shoots to eat and giant culms. But in zone 8 (30 miles south of Portland, OR) it takes many years and won't grow all that well, so I grown Henon instead, which grows great here. Give me some good reasons and I'll run off the the Bamboo Garden Nursery for a 5-gallon pot of Moso.

Comments (33)

• kchedville
    18 years ago

I started loving Bamboo late in age (51 now), I wish I had the resources and know-how back in my teens, i'd love to be able to walk among my moso forest on a cool crisp morning and seeing the sun shine thru the tops.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bamboo i grow now

• kaimiike
    18 years ago

Kchedville,

I looked at your link, it would be cool if you could put some names to those great bamboos!

• bungalow_mikee
    18 years ago

LOL

Moso has the best proportions and the best shape.
    I'm going to grow some and hope that it will at
    least come to 1" diameter.

Check out this site to see the largest growing
    Moso in the world:

http://www.pacificsites.com/~jneptune/L-Photos.html

• daveandlaura
    18 years ago

Have you ever had the chance to walk in a REAL moso grove? I'm very fortunate to live where moso will get big -- maybe not as big as in its native China -- but 60' tall and 6" diameter is nothing to sneeze at. I've helped clean up the moso grove at Avery Island; when you walk 10' into the grove and it's like you're in another world. I'm fortunate to live relatively close to Marler Spence, arguably one of the moso experts in the US and have walked in his groves, too.

I've got two starts of moso going, one from Avery Island and one is a "grandchild" division from Marler's moso. I don't know if I'll be in the same house ten years from now when the culms are big, but I hope I am!

Moso is also a neat example of contrasts. Something as big as a mature moso culm should be solid, hard; contrast that impression with the fact it's actually covered with peach fuzz that makes it kind of soft. It seems like something as tall and big around as a mature moso culm should have huge leaves; actually the leaves are very small, almost dainty.

Just a few ideas.

Dave

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Michael-
    Great photos. One question: Why are the moso dug out at the base and then cut? Is it that you don't want to leave a stump sticking up, or the base part has a special use, or what?

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

He probably uses them to carve bamboo Monks...

• bungalow_mikee
    18 years ago

Hi Kudzu,
    To answer your question,
    Look at all of the links.
    They use it to make drums and all kinds of instruments..
    It's very cool!

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

I think moso is talked about a lot by hobbyists because it's still not available from common retailers very much.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

My explanation: Auto-suggestion...we've all been hypnotized by the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...

• kchedville
    18 years ago

kaimiike, Thanks for the compliments.
    I am not sure of the Species I have - been trying to find that out for a while now - some say its Oldhami, the smaller bamboo I brought back from Ashville, NC on a trip few years ago - it still has not shot up nice shoots like it had in NC. I plants some Moso on my property in Mississippi, I hope it takes and I am here 5 years fro now to see some nice shoots coming up.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bamboo

• Mikez9
    18 years ago

Kchedville, the bamboo in your pics looks like bambusa vulgaris (common Bamboo). I have some vulgaris wamin shooting right now and the shoots look identical to the ones in the pic.

• plantaholic
    18 years ago

and dont forget .....because it has that soft velvety feeling like a horse's nose LOL

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Well, because it is so beautiful!

{{gwi:416541}}

And who could resist those HUGE shoots?!

{{gwi:416542}}

Beyond that itÂs tasty too!

{{gwi:416543}}

PF

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yuck, yuck... har, har! Thanks for the pics. That's looks like a *great* reason to grow moso. However, I suspect most people grow it where it reaches only a small fraction of the size of these pictures.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

None of the other familiar ones have that delicate foliage borne in horizontal sprays, ornamentally there is no comparison on that basis alone. Mine is growing like a weed here in cooler western WA, in comparatively hot Portland you should definitely be planted moso instead of Henon.

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

I'm trying it because when people ask about Moso. I want to be able to say. "Moso? Yeah i got that..."....I will probably have to keep it in some kind of container though. my seedling is probably about 12" now and i think i will put it in a half whiskey barrel so i can bring it in my garage in the winter. I hope it will survive....and fair well in NJ. I certainly don't expect the native results.

Kurt

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Another picture to show "why":

{{gwi:416545}}

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Ain't no Henon that looks like that.

• mshaffer
    18 years ago

Plantfreak can you post as many pics as you have? I've been trying to find Moso pictures.

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

All of them! That is a mighty request :) HereÂs a couple more:

{{gwi:416546}}

{{gwi:416547}}

• hello_c_j_here
    18 years ago

I have some babies growin...
    {{gwi:416252}}

and... Shes about 3 foot.
    {{gwi:412618}}

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Hello CJ,

Those seedlings are so cute! How old are the larger plants you show?

Here's some tastey shoots waiting to be cleaned, cooked, and eaten. Groves are constantly under pressure from collecting, especially one's in cities and near roads. They are really delicious!

{{gwi:416548}}

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Those shoot look like they've been wastefully harvested, by just slicing them off at ground level. Isn't the best part under the ground? Don't you gotta dig down a bit to get the whole thing?

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

> Ain't no Henon that looks like that.

I guess. But is Moso gonna look like that in the Pacific Northwest? Not to mention all of the other locations around the US. I would imagine some of the southern states, but people seem to be bent on growing it where it just does not thrive.

RonB, how big has your Moso grown in Seattle? Height and culm diameter? How long has it been planted there?

• cliff98
    18 years ago

Yes they will look like that once they grow out of the seedling and juvenile stages. They will have their feathery-layered look even when the culms are only an inch or so in diameter. So even in places where it does not receive its optimal growing conditions like it does in the Southeastern U.S., China and Japan, it can still be grown for its unique characteristics, it just may take slightly longer.

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

plantfreak, nice photos of moso. But what kind of trees are those in the background that make the moso look like dwarf bamboo?

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Tim,

Actually it is the top of the growing point that is eaten, maybe about the last six inches or so. These things are huge. One can make a meal in itself.

Ikz5ia,

The trees you see in these shots include two native species, Cryptomeria japonica (sugi) and Chamaecyparis obtusa (hinoki). In one shot there are also a couple big Metasequoia growing. All of these trees can top out at 100+feet, thus dwarfing the moso. There is one sugi near my house that's measured at 150 feet and it has been lopped off several times by the hundreds of typhoons it has weathered in its lifetime. PF

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

tcstoehr - go to Ned Jaquith's home page - bamboogarden.com? I think, and you can see PNW Moso, if you are willing to consider Portland as part of the PNW (I'm guessing that it is?). The photo of Auggie the dog with Moso should be on the home page.

• Ackar
    18 years ago

Even little moso is cute.

Bonsai Moso

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hoosier - I've looked at www.bamboogarden.com many, many times. To the point where I sometimes think Auggie is my own pet doggy. I've also been to their nurseray at least 6 times. I've just been in an e-mail conversation with a couple of folks there who tell me it will be 7-10 years before a Moso in this region will size up to a 3-inch diameter culm. I don't know if I wanna wait that long... maybe... but I think I'll try a Ph. Dulcis for faster results.

• bungalow_mikee
    18 years ago

10 years!
    Does that go for So Ca too?
    I guess I should have started 3 years ago.
    It be 1"diameter by now!

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Time flies by quickly. I know....my son is almost 5 already....the way i see it is time will go by anyway, so why not have some to see how it does. I just got a Dulcis this year too...

Kurt

• kchedville
    14 years ago

WOW - its been 4 years since I been here and posted, didnt think anything would still be here. Anyways, My Moso is doing Great, I've since planted a couple other Species, Vivax, Oldhami, Japanese Timber.
    In this recent photo, the Moso is actually twice as tall as in the photo, and the Pagota can barely be seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: recent Moso Photo