Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlnelson_gw

I think my bamboo is dying-please help

jlnelson
15 years ago

I recently transplated 6 bamboo trees to my backyard and 4 of them look really bad. I water them twice a day but they are turning yellow and the leaves are falling off. Any advice? Should I dig them up and give them bigger holes with new dirt? I have pictures but don't know how to post those

Comments (5)

• subtropix
    15 years ago

Your posting gives no clue as to the variety of bamboo or your location/zone (Arizona, Miami, Boise, Manila?). High summer is really not a good time of the year to be doing major transplanting. (But you may already know this and had no choice I understand.) I would urge you NOT to move the bamboos again. They may well acclimate eventually to their new home. I have had to move bamboo in non-prime times of the year as well (I moved last year). Your bamboos may continue to defoliate. Don't panic at this point. If you keep them well watered, chances are that they will refoliate eventually.--Give them time and be patient. I can say this on the basis of personal experience with plants that I too assumed were goners. I would refrain from fertilizing until growth resumes. And next time try to do any transplanting in early spring before new growth begins. (For me this means March or April.)--Good luck!

• raiz
    15 years ago

I'd bet you're overwatering. Try not watering until you see the leaves really start to curl up axially. Don't worry, after watering the leaves will uncurl in about 10 minutes. Yellowing is usually overwatering or stress.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

How big are these bamboo? When you transplanted each one, how large of an undisturbed rootball did you take? Did you re-plant immediately?

• miraclegrower
    15 years ago

Bamboo, being in the grass family is extremely pugnacious. If you saved any of the corms chances are it will live.
    The leaves will fall off, this is normal. Those canes will more than likely die, however, the next year they will return with a vengeance. No need to dig a bigger hole, just keep moist, not overly wet, and do not fertilize until you see growth next spring. Using a very light fertilizer, the lightest strength you can use.
    Bamboo sends out canes twice a year, the other time it is sending out runners to expand its empire.

• wvdrae
    7 years ago

I have a large stand of bamboo. I have no idea what kind but it is very tall. It has always been healthy and hardy. However this past winter it started dying. This spring it put out many new shoots and I was hopeful but all I have is stalk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia