Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy bamboo didn't produce new shoots

Posted by egk47 Z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 12:08

Hi,

I have a small hardy bamboo patch (I believe it is "black" bamboo) that is 4 years old. When I planted the root, it produced one shoot, the next year two new shoots, the year after that 5 new shoots, but two were broken by my kids. This year the bamboo produced no new shoots. The older shoots are growing. Should I be concerned?

EGK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy bamboo didn't produce new shoots

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 12:34

If it is black bamboo (why do you think this is the species?), it's hardy to about zero F. In your Zone, black bamboo could be marginal, depending on the actual winter temps, the siting, the wind exposure, and the soil/water conditions. Having said all that, this is not normal for an established bamboo. You should be getting more and larger culms each year. What happens to existing culms in the winter? Do they defoliate?

o

Kudzu9,

The company sold several types of hardy bamboo and black is the one I remember it being. I could be wrong.

It was a mild winter and the culms do not defoliate. The bamboo looks fine, except for not producing any new culms this year.

Thanks for your help!

EGK47

o

PS The bamboo is shielded from much of the wind by the neighboring house and the fence. It get more than 6 hours of sun a day and has been through colder winters than the last one.

EGK47

o

I admit to being baffled. It sounds like it's healthy, and it's hardy enough. And you've had it in the ground far long enough to be well-established. Usually by the third year a transplanted bamboo is busting out with new culms. Just keep watering and fertilizing it this summer and hope for the best next year. If you would care to post a digital picture I'll see if I can offer anything more.

o

kudzu,

I realized that there is one other change. The canes are not standing as straight as before. They are bending over. I'll try to attach two photos to another thread.

EGK47

o

Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 2:31

egk47-
I'd love to see pictures...

o

I discovered a patch of bamboo shoots about 4 feet away from the original patch in the grass! Most were broken, but I put a tomato cage around an unbroken one. I hope to transplant it, either this fall or spring (which would be better?)

Is sprouting 4 feet away from the original plant normal?

EGK47

o

My black just put up its first culms for the year and I'm in 6b. Maybe you'll get something yet.

o

Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 13:05

Transplant it while it is still relatively dormant in early spring before there is any shooting activity.

o

I'd say, for some reason, your bamboo is putting more energy into roots this year than into shoots. Could be due to the mild winter just past.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here