Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

What is this monstrosity?

jerzeegirl
14 years ago

It popped up next to my bamboo plant. It's a big thick stalk but doesn't look like bamboo at all. I am afraid of it.

Here's a picture.

{{gwi:416712}}

Comments (15)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Don't panic...your bamboo is sending up a new culm. Based on the diameter of the shoot, it looks like you've planted your bamboo in a place that makes it happy!

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol. Is there any way to make it a little less happy? I was expecting a delicate airy bamboo plant and apparently got the plant that ate Chicago.

OK, I admit I am puzzled. The bamboo got a few new culms last year after we planted it. They were skinny, normal looking culms. Now this. Will all future culms look like this? It's a clumping plant so hopefully it won't invade my garden, but is it normal to have skinny culms next to fat culms?

I am in Florida so plants, like girls, do tend to go wild.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

jerzeegirl-
    What's happening is normal, though I understand your surprise. Typically a bamboo will sit in the ground for a year or two and poke along. Once it gets established (usually about the third year) it starts putting out new, larger growth. All bamboo have a natural size they grow to, and the culms will get fatter and taller each year until they start maxing out at their adult size. Unlike a tree, each culm does its growing over a several month period: the culms come out of the ground at their permanent diameter, and reach their maximum height at the end of the growing season. Next year the culms could be bigger and taller. A lot of us who are bamboo-nuts think bigger is always better, but that may not be your view. If you can tell me the species, I can give you an idea of how big this is going to get.

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

Seriously, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Look for it to get *much* bigger. It's just getting started. Are there other bamboos nearby? That looks like bamboo leaf litter on the ground, but too much for that one small plant.
    Do you have the name of the variety? That would help alot.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got an answer from the nursery where I bought the plant. It's called Bambusa vulgaris Wamin (Dwarf Buddha's Belly).

I actually didn't think the plant would make it because we had a (relatively) cold winter and the leaves dried up a bit. It appears to be none too worse for the wear.

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Definitely looks like my Wamin. Mine only grows to about 10 feet here, but the culms are about 3 inches thick. You're gonna love this bamboo. When the sheaths fall off in a month or so, you'll see the 'bellies'.

You can already see them, slightly, on the thinner culms.

Kt

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

OK, you're in luck. It will get bigger, but not seriously big. I was thinking it could have been an oldhami.

• mchaggis
    14 years ago

I'm jealous, jerzeegirl. I have been wanting to get some wamin to provide a little privacy at the back of my yard. Since we're both in Central FL, would you mind me asking which nursery you got it from?

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mchaggis: I would be happy to share my source with you. I bought it at Crowley Nursery and Gardens in Sarasota. It's a wonderful nursery and well worth the trip (not just for Bamboo). Here is their web site. I bought a small Wamin - I think we paid $40 - and as you can see, it didn't take long for it to take off! They have other varieties too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crowley Nursery

• mchaggis
    14 years ago

Doh! It does look like a nice place and I like Sarasota, but am in Orlando--maybe a bit too far. I hope you post more pics as your Wamin grows. Thanks!

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

I think the Crowley Nursery pic of Lako is actually Gigantochloa atroviolacea 'Tropical Black'(which they also have listed as 'Timor" Black). They might need to check into that and correct it.

Tropical Bamboo, Inc. in Loxahatchee, (Palm Beach) Florida has a very nice selection and are very knowledgeable on their bamboos.

Kt

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been to Tropical Bamboo - a very nice place with spectacular bamboo. They will also ship (my sil took advantage of that and had 3 plants shipped to DC). I am going to be moving to closer to that area in a month and so I am sure I will be spending some time there!

• wildbillgt
    14 years ago

I see the ebony god of bamboo and my dear friend Kudzu are still at it!! Mr. Kentuck and Mr. Kudzu.. how goes it?

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

wildbill-
    I thought you must have gone into the witness protection program! Great to see you surface after all this time.

It goes well...all of my mature bamboo are giving me a workout since I still hate to install barrier. I have an abundance of divisions. Email me if you'd like me to send you something...

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Hey Wildbill!

Where have you been hiding? I guess you finally found your way out of your bamboo grove.

Severe drought here...continuing from last year. I spent another whole Summer watering, and can barely keep up. Already lost a couple of boos.

How are things with you and your bamboo?

Kt