Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grncalgary_z3

bamboo zone 3

GRNcalgary_z3
17 years ago

I bought a Kumurozasa bamboo on a whim this spring. What should I do when winter comes? Cut it back when it is time to come inside? Bugs are always a problem when outdoor plants come in for the winter. Can I clean off all the soil and plant the roots/tubers/whatever they are in new soil? It doesn't seem to be doing much except new shoots are showing up around the edge of the pot. Who would have ever thought I would be nursing a plant I have admired so often in Hawaii?

Comments (13)

• numbersix

Put it in a large bag or wrap with paper. Place a vapona aka no pest strip inside and leave it overnight. That will kill any pests (but not all types of eggs)

• numbersix

Put it in a large bag or wrap with paper. Place a vapona aka no pest strip inside and leave it overnight. That will kill any pests (but not all types of eggs)

• numbersix

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

You bring it in, put it in as sunny a spot as possible, and water it. You don't: mess with the soil, dig it out, or cut it back. If you can mist it daily to offset the dryness of your indoor winter environment, that would help. Bamboo have few pest problems, so I don't think this is an issue.

• GRNcalgary_z3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Kudzu. Even if the bamboo doesn't have pest problems often the soil it is in harbors little rotters that make life a misery. But I will give it a try when winter hits in a Sept. I like a challenge and it is pretty and bright.

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Anyone who can grow (or even find) bamboo in Zone 3 needs all the encouragement they can get! There are many bamboo that do fine indoors, even for longer periods than your winter months, and I hope you have a happy experience. If you're still concerned about critters, maybe a light spray on the soil surface with something relatively harmless will ease your worries.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

You could possibly use a plastic mulch on it to keep bugs out of the soil.

• GRNcalgary_z3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will try the vapona no pest strip. Back when we used more chemicals I remember spraying a plant inside a bag and it really worked. Boo is looking quite good but the night frosts will come soon.

• theyardman
    15 years ago

I just returned from a visit to your area and visiting some relatives that moved to Calgary several years ago. When we showed up last Thu it was either snowing or close to it with hail.

Could not believe such a cold day in Calgary; however, it was nice to have some cool weather since out temps will be in the mid 90's the rest of this week with matching humidity.

Lake Louise is one of the most beautiful locations on Planet Earth.

Take Care and Good LucK with the bamboo, I have 5 varieties here in SE Michigan that all over winter quite well. You might have some luck with some of the more hardy ones, no?

• GRNcalgary_z3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, this area is a wonderful and beautiful place to live even if the summers are too short and unpredictable for gardeners. The bamboo is growing and there are daily changes. It will be interesting to see what this winter brings. Also, my yucca right close to it is blooming for the first time. I brought the seed from my mother's garden in Pittsburgh many years ago and had given up hope.

• PRO
    Vincent Flasch Interior Design Inc.
    7 years ago

So 8 years later, how's that bamboo doing here in Calgary?

• mersiepoo
    7 years ago

Yeah, I would like to know that too.

Sponsored