Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
everythingirl1

Bamboo Newbie - How do I thin, etc.?

everythingirl1
14 years ago

Hi everybody. I am a bamboo newbie- I bought a 10 gal. bambusa bamboo on clearance from Home depot last year. They told me it was clumping, but I am really not sure.

It had mealy bugs and I just sprayed it with organocide- figuring if it survives, great. If not, no biggie bc it was very cheap. I planted it in a far corner of the yard where it gets brutal full sun. Amazingly, it survived all year, leafed out considerably, and this year it sent up a 15' shoot within a matter of weeks. It is just now branching out. Amazing.

The lower part of the plant just has the same culms it came with - each about 4-5' tall. Do I need to thin the bamboo out so that it looks like those stands where you can clearly see the bamboo poles coming out of the ground? How do I thin (cut culms at the base, etc.?)

Also, what PH does bambusa like? What type of fertilizer? I have given it about 4-5 fish emulsion feedings in the past year (foliar spray) but I just read online that bamboo loves fertilizer.....should I fert. more often?

I planted several slash pines nearby- will the bambusa be okay with the acid loving pines?

THANKS!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area