Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Newbie - How do I thin, etc.?

Posted by everythingirl1 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 12:59

Hi everybody. I am a bamboo newbie- I bought a 10 gal. bambusa bamboo on clearance from Home depot last year. They told me it was clumping, but I am really not sure.

It had mealy bugs and I just sprayed it with organocide- figuring if it survives, great. If not, no biggie bc it was very cheap. I planted it in a far corner of the yard where it gets brutal full sun. Amazingly, it survived all year, leafed out considerably, and this year it sent up a 15' shoot within a matter of weeks. It is just now branching out. Amazing.

The lower part of the plant just has the same culms it came with - each about 4-5' tall. Do I need to thin the bamboo out so that it looks like those stands where you can clearly see the bamboo poles coming out of the ground? How do I thin (cut culms at the base, etc.?)

Also, what PH does bambusa like? What type of fertilizer? I have given it about 4-5 fish emulsion feedings in the past year (foliar spray) but I just read online that bamboo loves fertilizer.....should I fert. more often?

I planted several slash pines nearby- will the bambusa be okay with the acid loving pines?

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Newbie - How do I thin, etc.?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 12:52

Bamboo tolerate variations in pH, and don't usually need fertilizer once established, although what you're using is fine. You can thin it whatever way you want as it won't hurt the plant...just be aware that whatever branches you prune out will not regrow. Home Depot often mislabels bamboo, so whether you have a clumping bamboo or not may take a few years to find out.

o
RE: Bamboo Newbie - How do I thin, etc.?

Best not to thin a new plant for a couple of years. General rule on thinning mature plants is to take out 1/3 of the plant per year focusing on removing mature culms only. Rgds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here