Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Running Bamboo Transplant Help

Posted by jtbeans NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 13:29

I dug up 2 pieces of running bamboo and then planted them in pots. One piece had a few roots attached to it, the other had about a 2-3 inch piece of rhizome and roots attached. The leaves from the piece without the rhizome have curled, and I think the leaves from the other plant may be on their way to doing the same. Is there any hope for these plants or should I start over? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Running Bamboo Transplant Help

I would say that there is still hope for your bamboo. First, you selected a difficult time of year to transplant bamboo. I usually propagate running boos in April in my area because the weather is usually very rainy, misty, humid, etc.. Then I will keep the potted bamboo cutting out of direct sun for several days and only gradually introduce stronger sun. Do not fertilize but do mist them daily in a shady position. They should make it. Bamboo leaves regularly curl or might even fall off completely before they acclimate to their new home. Even if leaves drop don't assume it's over! Good luck!

o

Keep them moist for several weeks in the shade, then slowly introduce them to direct sunlight. Though the existing culms may die there may be enough energy for the rhizomes to put out roots and new culms later in the season or in the Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo propagation information

o

Heres an update, the one cutting with the rhizome leaves never curled and it appears to be growing! The other cutting with just roots and no rhizome leaves are still curled and does not look like it is doing too well. I mist them with spring water a few times a day, and I keep them in my kitchen sink where they get some light but nothing direct. I have been careful to use only spring water or filtered water and the soil has stayed moist. I have done alot of research and it looks like that it is Arrow Bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here