Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivillage_rex

MOSO Seed Germination!

ivillage_rex
15 years ago

Hi there everyone. I'm new to theses forums and this is my first post. I hope I'm posting this in the correct section (-.-;). Exactly 14 days ago, I started on my little at-home Moso bamboo seed germination project. I live in Seattle and I know this isn't the best place for Moso to grow, but 300 seeds for $13 USD on eBay was just too good of a deal to pass up! The method I used for seed preparation:

Rinse-

Soak in 10% Saltwater for 5 minutes (I filled a small cup with tap water and dumped it into a bucket (9 times) and after that, I filled the same cup with salt and dumped it into the bucket as well to create a solution that consisted of roughly 10% salt)-

Rinse-

Soak in tap water for 20 minutes-

I filled a clear plastic box that used to hold roast beef (bought from Safeway) to 1 inch above the bottom of the container with MiracleÂGro Potting Soil purchased from Lowe's. The box measures about 6'' x 4.5 '' x 2.5''. I moistened the soil a little bit and mixed it up with a chopstick.

Next, I placed 10 prepared seeds in 2 rows inside the box on top of the soil. I wasn't sure whether or not I was supposed to stick them in upright with the pointy end facing upwards towards the sky, so I opted not to. I placed them flat against the soil like so:

l l l l l

l l l l l

and covered them with about 0.5'' of the same soil.

Today, 2 skinny sprouts struck out of the soil! I'm very excited about this!!! I have a question for you guys. How long should I wait for until I transplant them into different containers? If anyone would like to see pictures I'll take some post them up, just let me know.

Comments (3)

Sponsored