Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Bamboo for Sale at Lowes: Myrtle Beach SC

joefalco
18 years ago

I couldn't believe it I saw some bamboo for sale at Lowes in Myrtle Beach SC.

The shelf tag said it was golden bamboo, but the tag on the pot said it was Black Bamboo.

Who knows? It was $30 for a 5 gallon pot. I didn't get any because I am broke.

If it is for sale at lowes the next thing you know everyone will be growing it, That kind of takes the fun out of having bamboo for me.

I like to grow things that are considered unusual Im kind of bummed it is forsale at Lowes.

Comments (13)

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Joe from reading in here, alot of southern stores have bamboo for sale. I hear that home depot also sells it....not up by me but down by you or even further

Kurt

• mtnbamboogirl
    18 years ago

imho this can be a god send for us...if more and more want bamboo then in time mybe we can get more different kinds into the usa!...if nothing else maybe cheaper bamboo and not pay "some"(not all)the price gougeing some want..$30.00 for a 5 gallon! ill take it!
    chele

Here is a link that might be useful: east coast bamboo group

• kaimiike
    18 years ago

Here in Seattle, both Home Depot and Lowes sell bamboo. Also, they don't just sell Black, Golden or Japonica. Often they have some fairly 'exotic' Fargesias.

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Everyone might start growing it. So what. Once the running bamboo threatens to take their lawn by shooting up everywhere, they'll get their bottle of brushkiller and annihilate it. Oh no, the bamboo isn't dying from the brushkiller. So they have to buy roundup and spray their whole backyard countless times. Now, not only is the bamboo dead, but all the bushes, trees, and grass. That's the last time they mess with the almighty bamboo. And lowes and others stop selling it because no one wants that evil plant. Don't worry Joe, fads go out of style.

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

I will say this.....I am seeing more and more shows or news articles or clips on TV about bamboo....up by me it just isn't as popular but...and not that i'm a trend setter but...whenever i get into something it appears that everyone in my area follows....now that is a conceeded statement but that isn't what i am trying to say...Just that i see local news paper articles about it....I just saw a local news showing the grove growing in rutgers university....been around for years but it seems to be getting atention now....hey the more the merrier i think...i got a few of my friends growing it now too...i am hoping down the road i can be more like Fred with his plants....spreading the wealth....

Kurt

• divahethr
    18 years ago

Any lowes or home depot in north carolina selling? or is the bamboo south line starting in south carolina. thank you!

• EBinNC
    18 years ago

Just picked up 4 pleiobastus dichstus for 6 bucks each at lowes

• joefalco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tried to google this name pleiobastus dichstus but I couldn't find anything.

$6 for bamboo thats CHEAP! I would like to know more and what Lowes did you get it from..

• angelfairy
    18 years ago

Not wanting a plant just because everyone can have it is kind of snobbish, don't you think? Bamboo has been popular for decades, but I am glad that it is more easily found now. It is one of the 10 most popular plants at this time, and for good reasons. It has saved our home from five hurricanes in the past couple of years by breaking up the fierce winds and is the best thing to grow if you live in earthquake and/or landslide country. The tremendous underground rhizome system is like rebar and is the safest place to be surrounded by. It is actually easily controlled through mowing every spring. Why it is made out to be a monster is beyond me. I have 10 acres with many different genre/species/cultivar here, and have no problem with control. I guess laziness would be the best reason I can think of for allowing it to get out of control.

• divahethr
    18 years ago

Pleioblastus distichus... they did have that at the lowes here and when i asked someone if they ever get the bigger bamboos i got the look I must be crazy. It's dwarf bamboo like a ground cover. But still bamboo none the less. Midatlantic bamboo says it gets about 2 feet tall.

• kaimiike
    18 years ago

Sigh. I just paid $30 for one 2 Gal. plant. Its 'other' name is "Dwarf Fernleaf" and it is quite attractive as its leaves are arrayed in such a way to make it resemble a fern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleioblastus Distichus

• dbarron
    18 years ago

Hee, think I'll pass on that Pleioblastus Distichus, ground cover bamboos are the real monster....I'd sit back waiting for it to put up a REAL culm (you know 10 ft or more high)..it never would...and it would quietly take over my backyard.
    :)

P.S. I do have Pleioblastus viridistriatus in my backyard. It runs yards every spring, but I'm actually happy for it's evergreen cover here (under pines).

• hello_c_j_here
    18 years ago

I'm heading to Lowes in the morning!! :-) maybe the home depot across the street of lowes too. I'm just outside of Raleigh, NC. I go to lowes often and do not ever recall seeing Boo there, but I've only been a Boo nut for 6 months. So maybe I'll be bringing home some new family members soon ; - )
    CJ

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor